COTA TRIALS ROUND 1 - DALLESPORT, WA 1/25-26/14

If your bike doesn't have a seat, you wear a funny hat, and you have more skills than most people, then this forum is for you!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

COTA TRIALS ROUND 1 - DALLESPORT, WA 1/25-26/14

Postby Tawmass » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Just throwing this out there to see who bites. This was where I did my first trials event and I had so much fun. It is actually easier than the one yesterday over at John Isherwood's, since it's dry and plenty of rock (not boulder really, but huge rock areas, so good traction).

http://observedtrials.com/smf/index.php?topic=335.0

COTA's site:
http://www.observedtrials.com/

Flyer:
http://www.observedtrials.com/media/dow ... ort_R1.pdf

When you register a new account enter the team name you want for your team and not the division name OMRA 2014. Once you create a team name you can't change it and if you registered last year I think you'll have to use that team name unless you use a different email.

After registering you will be asked to join a division. Select Bench Racing and then join OMRA 2014 using password motochimp.

To get a taste of it, here were my photos from that (at the end of the collection):
http://tawm.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/OMR ... le-GP-COTA

I think I will sign up for the trials school on the day prior with Daniel - I need the help.

Also, more than one person can share one bike. Figured you might be interested in that Kevin & Tyler.
-Tom

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: COTA TRIALS ROUND 1 - DALLESPORT, WA 1/25-26/14

Postby tang8u » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Tom sounds fun

Been in contact with Daniel

Going to pull the trailer up Friday night.

This should be a fun weekend at a speed of zero... Tang
Tang
Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 am

Should be an awesome event with even better weather. We'll be out there tonight (friday)!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:53 pm

What a great weekend and met on another great group of rider

What a great, fun sport.

We did your first trial event this weekend. Went up early becouse the had a school going on the day before. We where to late to get entered but Daniel Blanc a "Pro trials rider" put on the class said to come up and watch. So we fallowed the group.
He had the begginers in the morning. Intermate then a pro group

So this is girly drop off ,

Tom on a 4 foot invert

After every class Tyler would try to do the same as was instructed. The third class Tyler could not make the same lines. So he enter open Intermate on Sunday. Places 8th in a group of I think 14. What is cool is they place riders in a group of 4 that go through the coarse. The four grade them self . They did 10 checks in total, but 3 times. Point off for backing up, foot down, stalled motor, out of line ect. a count 5 points and you lost that section. Not as easy as on thinks.

Each group gets to stop and walk the section, helping support, ect. Nice

After section three, Group make making sure everyone can make it on

Section 3 was Tyler killer 5 feet invert. First time crashed. Next two made it but , made his out 5 points. Section 5 was funny Tyler did a moto cross compresion off a rock and landed it, then some old guy came up with 1993 gloves on and ask if we know Kieth Claton (Sp) Small world….Keith tought Tyler that move at a riding school. Funny how thing come around.

pro line insaaaan

went up

Damn have new respect for a bike with no seat

Had a great weekend camping

Tang

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:27 am

Now you need BIG rocks in the back yard for the course too.

wdratsloper
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby wdratsloper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

Tang, I can see it now.
Attachments
backyard.jpg
backyard.jpg (86.87 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
CYA JOE STAGG Image

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 am

Daniel Blanc-Gonnet Trials Training Class:
Wow, what a fun weekend! Donna and I entered the trials-training class offered by champ-level rider Daniel Blanc-Gonnet on Saturday, with plans to ride the actual trials event on Sunday. We got there after dark on Friday. Also showing were our friends Scott & Mary Wilson, as Scott was going to ride one of my bikes in the event on Sunday for his first ever trials event. Turns out that Kevin 'Tang' Foley also showed up Friday night for the weekend too, along with his two boys Tyler and Riley. I thought a few other friends like Chuck Worley, Jeff Proctor, Gordon Lawrence and Keith Reams would show too, but they must've broken a finger nail. :wink:

We were grouped in our class with another couple who had never entered a trials event before, Tanner & Nicole. Daniel took us out to an open area with plenty of rock and grassy area to practice on. Though I'd dabbled in a few trials events before, Donna has only been riding her trailbike for about a year, and Tanner & Nicole, also trailriders, had never ridden a trials bike before, so we were newbs. Though there were a few, simple tip overs, and numerous questions, Daniel was very patient, helpful and open. I've had a trials bike for about four years now and never have been able to sync up with many friends who are very skilled at trials riding, so that I could get a good foundation. I'm sure it's due to not wanting to take the time to teach a newby the basics, but taking this class was so helpful in an open setting. I know Donna and I learned heaps, plus Daniel goaded me into trying my first two-foot vertical rock climb! I knew I could do it, but my confidence wasn't there. Once I did it, it seemed easy.

Thanks Daniel for the most excellent and educational class! Unfortunately my camera's strobe decided to no longer work, so my pictures are less than stellar, but I have a few anyway. Oh, and 20 points to the first person who can correctly identify where Daniel's promo poster picture was taken (I nailed it FYI). :-k
(Scroll down for the event report.)
-Tom
<<< Donna in trials training

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 am

wdratsloper wrote:Tang, I can see it now.

So THAT'S how my bike got all the dings! It was nice finally meeting Mike Casper, Joe!
====================================================
1/26/14 COTA "Ice Breaker" Trials, Round One

After Daniel's Training Class, Donna, Scott and I noodled around the rest of the afternoon. Out of the blue, some guy comes up and starts conversation with us and says he's from Shady Cove. Holy crap, that's where I grew up and it turns out it was Mike Casper, whom I bought my Montesa 4RT from! (Okay, bought it from his wife since he was out of town at the time, so never really met him face to face.) Wow, Mike and I yapped and yapped for what seems like forever. In fact Scott and Donna took off after a bit and Mike and I continued chatting. What a small world!

As the day ended, Donna, Scott, Mary and I spent the evening playing cards in their trailer after a tasty meal. Here's Mary and Scott showing their best Indian Poker cards.

The next morning riders started rolling in and the area started looking like a city. The rider's meeting finally commenced and Mike Wirth handed out some end-of-year trophies, then Daniel informed everyone of the event details.

Donna elected to not enter the event, as some of the sections looked too challenging for her, but she'll be there soon. So Scott hopped on her Gas Gas (his first trials event!) and we were teamed up with Jillian Neff, who I've been lucky enough to get matched up with for my last couple trials events. She's very good, motivating and patient. I still consider myself an FNG (New Guy), so entered the novice class again. Per the video below, we made our way around the 10 sections, of which we did a total of three times. Scott did very well for his first time and was doing the same things I originally did, mainly defaulting to basic dirt-riding skills and therefore riding too fast.

At the end of the day, I cleaned all the sections but #10 on the first two laps. I was a total maroon and stalled the motor in the same section on the first two laps, which is five points each. Argh. The last lap I finally cleaned it though - yes! After Daniel's most excellent training class, I think I've finally got enough basics to transfer to intermediate level. If there's no conflicts, I sure hope to make the next event. It was nice to see Kevin, Tyler and Riley Foley at the event for their first time too. I understand Tyler entered in the intermediate class and did quite well! There was one guy riding a Honda XR100 - crazy! Trials riding is very low key, the riders are friendly and your off-road skills will improve immensely. I just don't understand why there are not hordes of dirt riders jumping into this facet of off roading, simply to make themselves a better rider! Thanks heaps to Didier and Daniel Blanc-Gonnet for setting up the event!
-Tom

Not really sure where that first 500 feet of elevation came from!

wdratsloper
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby wdratsloper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 am

Ya, that's Mike on your Monty in the rock pile at his house. I'm sure he did OK for a 48 year old. Mike and Brad usually keep me feeling like a squid.
CYA JOE STAGG Image

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

For the 20 pts... My guess is off outback trail in TSF or real close proximity.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 pm

edgy wrote:For the 20 pts... My guess is off outback trail in TSF or real close proximity.

Bill, you are within about four miles. 8)

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Yes Rock,,,and Boulders came up on the way home. SO we are looking for stuff. Send me pics.

In any case

Tom You have always given Pics of others. My turn :)

Know one really knows what Tom does, he is just there. Tom is True to people that ride on two wheels. He take pics of all of us, my turn. For Tom

Tom first two footer, if he was on his KTM at 30 MPH this would be know issue. KTM 300 Third gear lean and throttle no biggy. Zero speed three foot rock face differnent story, it all in your head.

Look at his face, sorry I know that face also…..Compite to it or Bail ?!?!?!!?

Now look happy face

Tom is always giving back

Daniel Blanc giving back to the sport

Pro Line

I really do not get how they can do this. This section was maybe 60 by 60 on a 20 feet face wall. The pro's would stop and turn a 90 , 180 360 …what ever they need to get to they next spot, and then hop and 6 feet straight up rock. They would all stick it. Remember you only have 5 points to loose and you lost that section

Our race

Tom one course

and Scott

Final love this pic Kids This is what is is all about

Tang

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:38 am

That just looks like too much fun! I see one of those bikes with no seat in the stable someday. Great pic's, especially the facial expression =D>

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:46 am

edgy wrote:For the 20 pts... My guess is off outback trail in TSF or real close proximity.

I'll give you the 20 points: Mongo's Canyon Trail trials area!

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:47 am

edgy wrote:That just looks like too much fun! I see one of those bikes with no seat in the stable someday.

I wish I would've had one decades ago. It will make you so much better of an off-road rider!
-Tom

Return to “Trials”