Finish Lines. This year proved the need over and over.

Tell us how you think we can make things better for you, the member. Constructive criticism is welcome - useless sniveling is not.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Midtown Rich
Life Member
Life Member

Finish Lines. This year proved the need over and over.

Postby Midtown Rich » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:16 am

I would like to suggest that each club take a little flour or something to a make a white finish line.
Or just lay down a strip of material that identifies the end of racing on the trail or track.
The special paint they use to mark utility work bio-degrades and seems well suited.

This finish line should be about 20 feet before any person punching tags, for safety condiderations.

I noticed at the Oregon Bicycle Racing Association races, they ALWAYS PAINT A FINISH LINE.
Everyone knows where the line is, and they put a serious camera on the line.

We don't need the camera.
We do need the line.

Many of our races come down to the wire.
This happened several times, at several places this year.
It sucks to not have a clear line to make the final sprint for.

Let's make it easy, fair, and most of all safe for our volunteer card-punch people!

Thanks!
r

Dan Bolin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Dan Bolin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 pm

If I'am not mistaken, the rules say; A checkered flag, and a finsish line 50ft or some reasonible distance before the finishing shute for saftey. I agree with Rich, but rule not new never enforced very often. Dan

Darin Williams
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

We agree!!

Postby Darin Williams » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:34 pm

If we don't insist on a finish line somebody at the last check is going to be seriously hurt!!!! Why do we have to wait until it happens??????
Darin
Darin Williams
Uncle Yodis
2013 KTM 250SX only rode on Sundays

Kevin Stadden
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Kevin Stadden » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Here here, Rich.

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Yep, could not agree more. Back in 84 myself, Reed Bright and JD Amen raced down what is now called trail 60 into what is know called the 2510 staging area. There was a staked and bannered finish chute but no line or checkered flag being waved by some hot chick in a bikini top with large "dimples" and pearly white teeth or some serious looking dude. Well being racers we all RACED into the chute at (lets just say too fast to stop) and when everyone got untangled the club had to figure out who got what since we all where in the 250ex class and it was very close and somewhat confusing. My side of the story was that I was first of course. It freaked me out and everyone else to boot, people could have been hurt but what would you do after a TRUE 100 mile desert race, just give 2 places away? Not me man I was young and stupid and really wanted to finish well.

Most of the time it does not matter. But in cases like the above it means the world to the racers to know who actually won and also for the safety of the spectators and club members. I am surprised with all the other improvements since I have been gone that this situation has not been standardized. I remember the clubs made a pretty big thing about it after our situation back then, of course threatening to DQ anyone racing into the chute from that day forward. Just tell us when the race is over and have someone (hopefully the hot chick from my imagination) deciding who was there first.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

Bare-it
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Bare-it » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:49 am

Great reminder, guys.

I barely remember that freightneing finish, Dan. (Only because you jogged my fading memory.) I've lost the exact details, but I think I was standing or working there. Seems like there was a leader where the finish line should've been, but when he slowed a fraction the other two just poured it on. There really was no finish, just a short funnel or "hallway" of ribbon crowded with people, at the end of a trail with room for three abreast. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Don't trust me...is that close to what you remember?

Maybe we designate a reasonable distance back from the "stopping area" (or scanning chute) for safety's sake, and then require the global-standard checkered flag. Out of fear of trying to judge a photo finish - without the photos, I've tried to make sure there wasn't a practical way for two bikes to cross the line together, but that's hard to work out. At the Fall Classic we had a finish line designated by two cones and red flags (probably should've been checkered), back 50' from the antenna.

Other ideas?

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Bare-it wrote:Great reminder, guys.

I barely remember that freightneing finish, Dan. (Only because you jogged my fading memory.) I've lost the exact details, but I think I was standing or working there. Seems like there was a leader where the finish line should've been, but when he slowed a fraction the other two just poured it on. There really was no finish, just a short funnel or "hallway" of ribbon crowded with people, at the end of a trail with room for three abreast. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Don't trust me...is that close to what you remember?

Yep, JD and I had a pretty good race going and we started catching Reed Bright (Idaho fast guy, ISDE medalist) who was nursing a rear wheel that was losing spokes. We caught him a couple of hundred yards from the funnel just like you discribed. He gased it and so did we, there was a series of trying to scrub speed then back on the throttle all the way into the chute and I do remember you there. Nobody got hurt but it was a little intense.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

Return to “Suggestions”