need a new laptop

This is the place to post about anything non-OHV related.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

need a new laptop

Postby edgy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 am

I need a new family laptop. Looking to move over to a Mac. Any thoughts on a refurbed macbook from the Apple store? Thanks.

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: need a new laptop

Postby oregonsage » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 am

If you know what you're doing you can find some nice deals in the Dell Outlet. Im not much of a Mac expert, though I can tell you than an iPad is no substitute for a laptop if you actually want to create anything much more substantial than an email.

red_tx
Life Member
Life Member

Postby red_tx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am

If you do not want to deal with viruses, bloated software and eventual computer slowdown, get a mac.
If you do get a used unit, make sure you the device qualifies for the Apple Care support program. This is a 1 year contract you pay for that basically says they fix anything that comes up.

IMO, Mac Book Pro's are one of the finest laptops ever made.. They will run for years. .

One note.. The Mac Operating system takes time to get used to.. There are no "x"'s in the upper right hand corner..

I switched my folks to Macs years ago, and amazing the "internet" and "printing" always work. :)

-red

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm

don't get a mac they are junk. mac book pros are junk too. always had problems with them and no one i've known who actually uses them like it.

i worked at a place that made me use a mac book pro with win7 it was complete junk.

you can get a badass PC laptop for cheap, way cheaper than mac stuff

asus and acer both makes really good laptops that are cheap. fry's has good deals on them all the time. nothing about macs make them immune to viruses or bloated software or any of that bs. its because they aren't targeted as much because a lot less people use them. macs will defiantly slow down as you get more and more stuff on it and apps get newer and newer and use more resources just like a pc
coffee don't fax worth a damn

Smokeslider
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Smokeslider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 pm

jb15 wrote:don't get a mac they are junk. mac book pros are junk too. always had problems with them and no one i've known who actually uses them like it.

i worked at a place that made me use a mac book pro with win7 it was complete junk.

you can get a badass PC laptop for cheap, way cheaper than mac stuff

asus and acer both makes really good laptops that are cheap. fry's has good deals on them all the time. nothing about macs make them immune to viruses or bloated software or any of that bs. its because they aren't targeted as much because a lot less people use them. macs will defiantly slow down as you get more and more stuff on it and apps get newer and newer and use more resources just like a pc

Maybe you could enlighten us on what specific problems you had? I can tell you the only problem you've address was the fact that you were running Windows OS on a Mac. Windows is junk, not Mac's fault.

I've run both Mac and PC in many different configurations and wouldn't give up my Macbook Pro for anything. I know there are somethings the PC does better not worth the headache IMO.
Chad

2012 KTM 300XC
#44D

"Build a man a fire, He'll stay warm for a night. Light a man on fire, he'll stay warm the rest of his life."

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 pm

well running windows with it, it had very poor performance and a lot of driver problems, because you had to update the mac drivers and the windows drivers if they clashed it would have problems.

i'm a windows stack software architect so i'm pretty biased. i've worked with a lot of people who don't like the macbook pro and they use the mac os

for the cost, the hardware is junk compared to what you can get from asus or acer or any of those types of places.

i'm running windows 8 and all my machines right now and i haven't had any problems. mac os compared to win8 is like 2000 to 2013

red_tx
Life Member
Life Member

Postby red_tx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm

jb15 wrote:well running windows with it, it had very poor performance and a lot of driver problems, because you had to update the mac drivers and the windows drivers if they clashed it would have problems.

i'm a windows stack software architect so i'm pretty biased. i've worked with a lot of people who don't like the macbook pro and they use the mac os

for the cost, the hardware is junk compared to what you can get from asus or acer or any of those types of places.

i'm running windows 8 and all my machines right now and i haven't had any problems. mac os compared to win8 is like 2000 to 2013

I stand by my message of having less issues with a mac. Already Windows 8 has had some major security vulnerabilities. Most with the IE Browser. That thing is the biggest virus catcher ever... I know, I know you can run FF or Chrome but most ppl dont...

Of course you were having issues running windows inside the Mac OS.. Windows has traditionally been an out of control memory guzzler and generally unstable as an OS.. Why would it run any better inside a mac? You may have seen better performance running windows in bootcamp. I imagine you were running it in VMWare or Parrallels. .Never seen it run well here....

Windows has traditionally been *the worst* OS when it came to driver support.. Mac is very good at 3rd party driver support... Plug in the printer and it works.. Plug in the USB hard drive and Time Machine wants to backup the OS.. Easier than windows... You are a windows stack developer so you are used to the ins and outs of windows.

In my experience *an average user* can spend half the $ on a Windows laptop and get half the life life of a Mac.. Up to Edgy.. Want to replace laptops every 3 years or every 5..

You get what you pay for...

I also prefer Trials tires over knobbies.. Lets talk about that..

-red

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm

everything red_tx said is not true its just opinion. decide for yourself. seems like he is just a fan boi. i'm biased too though.

i'm running windows 8 on a atom powered laptop with 2gigs of ram. runs fine.

almost everything you get for a mac is highly controlled by apple. thats why you can only get a fraction of the software available for a PC on a mac. everything is proprietary.

nothing about a mac will last longer than a PC. if you fill it up with crap it'll run slower. macbook pros use PC hardware anyways.

it really doesnt' matter get whatever you like, if your loafers are light get a mac, if you're a nerd or wannabe nerd install ubuntu, if you're normal guy and don't want to offend anyone buy a windows pc

lol

:king:

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Just want something that works and keeps working, like a 2 stroke, simple is better for me. The Mac's I've used seem easier to use. Tried a Win 8 o/s machine, confusing for me.To bad Apple did'nt give away there stuff to the schools as did Microsoft. Might be some different opinions. Just because Windows is the biggest does'nt mean the best. I think I'll go with a refurbed MacBook Pro. Thanks for the input.

Smokeslider
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Smokeslider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

jb15 wrote:everything red_tx said is not true its just opinion. decide for yourself. seems like he is just a fan boi. i'm biased too though.

i'm running windows 8 on a atom powered laptop with 2gigs of ram. runs fine.

almost everything you get for a mac is highly controlled by apple. thats why you can only get a fraction of the software available for a PC on a mac. everything is proprietary.

nothing about a mac will last longer than a PC. if you fill it up with crap it'll run slower. macbook pros use PC hardware anyways.

it really doesnt' matter get whatever you like, if your loafers are light get a mac, if you're a nerd or wannabe nerd install ubuntu, if you're normal guy and don't want to offend anyone buy a windows pc

lol

:king:

Are you on crack? Serious question.
Chad

2012 KTM 300XC
#44D

"Build a man a fire, He'll stay warm for a night. Light a man on fire, he'll stay warm the rest of his life."

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Nah I just don't like Macs and people who make claims about windows sucking without even knowing anything about it.

My 3 year old uses windows 8 on that atom Asus without any problems.

Good luck with your MacBook 8)

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Guys,

The 'edge' just asked how to get a good deal on a Mac........

](*,)

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm

OK. Easy. Find the first person you see with hipster glasses and offer to buy their mac

NWOutlawMX
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby NWOutlawMX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

jb15 wrote:OK. Easy. Find the first person you see with hipster glasses and offer to buy their mac

Or you could find a Bering Sea captain and offer to buy their mac. What's with the stereotypes? I'm actually sitting in my bunk right now 250 miles offshore using my macbook air 13". Guess what, the only people able to use the internet on the boat are the one's with Mac's. Nobody with a windows based pc is able to connect, or if they get connected it's so slow they give up, even brand new ones with 8, being is your a windows expert, why is that?

Could you please put your race number in your signature.

Edgy, hope you can find a good deal on a Mac, you won't be sorry.
Rick -------------- 2013 GP/XC 15v
09 KTM 450 SX-F
06 Honda 280X
AMA-Oregon Oldtimers MX- NRA Life Member- DRRC- http://www.hookit.com/members/rickboyer/

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 pm

i think its probably because windows 8 is horrible and no one that has it can connect to "the internet".

you guys are really getting butt hurt about it :cherry:

Return to “Off Topic”