COTA TRIALS ROUND 2 - DALLESPORT, WA 2/23/14

If your bike doesn't have a seat, you wear a funny hat, and you have more skills than most people, then this forum is for you!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

COTA TRIALS ROUND 2 - DALLESPORT, WA 2/23/14

Postby Tawmass » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 am

Back at Dallesport again. Flyer is here:

http://www.observedtrials.com/media/dow ... 0Trial.pdf
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: COTA TRIALS ROUND 2 - DALLESPORT, WA 2/23/14

Postby tang8u » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:43 pm

We will be headed up Sat. Morning. Ready for round 2.

Tang
Tang
Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 am

Looks like we'll be heading out early Sunday morning, barring any changes. Here's an update from Brian, who's laying out the sections:

Brian Clarke wrote:Hi Everybody!

The weather looks like its going to be real nice this weekend and I-84 is reporting no problems as far as travel goes.
Looking forward to seeing everybody on Sunday.

*If anybody wants to set up a section or two on Friday or Saturday, I could use the help being as I could not get up last week due to the road closer on I-84.

Supercross - If I can get the big screen in the bar again at the Shilo Inn on Saturday night we will be watching the Supercross Race.
Everybody that is over 21 is welcome to join us agin. Everbody had a lot of fun last time.

Thank you and lets ride,
Brian Clarke
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am

2/23/14 COTA Trials Round 2 Ride Report

The Wife and I were stoked for another trials event out at Dallesport, since the area is just, well, perfect. We loaded up and headed out the day prior, along with Scott and Mary Wilson. Scott would be riding a friend's Scorpa 250. The event prior was Scott's first ever trials event and he had a great time - yet another dirt rider giving trials a try and now 'gets it'.

We pulled into the staging area and made camp next to Scott and Mary. After setting up the trailer, it was time to head out for a little puttsy of the area to get our trials legs moving. Also there were the Foleys (Kevin and Tyler) and their second trials event. I of course snapped a few quick pix.

After our ride it started getting dark and there was talk of watching the Atlanta Supercross down at the Shilo Inn in the bar, so Donna and I loaded up around dusk and headed down there. Upon arriving we met up with Brian Clarke (the event host) and his fellow helper dude, Max Nelson and his girlfriend Madeline. It turns out that the bar did NOT have the proper satellite channel for the SX (dang!), so it was time to have a few beverages and some dinner. Evidently the owner is from Louisiana and offers quite the Cajun menu. I ordered some spicy jambalaya and wow, could only eat part of it - good stuff, but hot, hot! Also it turned out that Brian's girlfriend used to work with Donna - what a small world!

We awoke the next morning to a beautiful, sunny day. Everyone was up and stirring around the pits prepping and practicing on all the rocky hills. I got Donna's Gas Gas set up for her and she did some practicing too, as this was her first ever trials event (she's only been riding for a couple years). Also showing up was my friend Adam Achepohl from Eugene (he runs the Funky Chicken National Race) and it had been a couple years since he'd done a trials event. Both Donna and Scott would be riding the novice class. I've been riding in the novice class in the few prior events, but Adam and I talked ourselves into riding the intermediate class for the first time.

Then the horn blew for the morning's rider meeting, where Brian explained all the details, plus Mike Wirth handed out some awards from the previous event, then we were off!

The process goes like this: there were 10 sections, and you do them three times total. On the first loop, everyone walks through each section analyzing what line(s) they plan on riding. So Donna, Scott, Adam and I ventured onward through the course. Brian Clarke graciously offered to ride with us and help out if possible, since he had spare time during the event. Aside from showing us how easily he can ride through the sections, he also gave us tips, plus major moral support - what a guy! It took us a very long time to get through the first loop (remember, this was Donna's first event), plus the sections were considerably more challenging than the event prior, as evidenced by the video below:
<<<< Be sure to watch in HD mode.

After the first loop, Donna was understandably whipped, so she bagged it. Also on the first loop, Scott's Scorpa acquired a hole in a radiator hose, so he was done. He did continue to ride around with us on Donna's bike though. So how did Adam and I do for our first intermediate-level ride? Well, we finished, and had major fun, but I know I was spent. It's an entirely different set of riding muscles that are used. Also Brian pointed out that my bike setup is way off - almost opposite of dirt riding - I must fix that.

At the end of the day was the awards presentation and it appears everyone had a super time. Major props to Brian Clarke for babysitting us around the course - you rock, and from our skill levels, I'm sure we provided some great entertainment! Looking forward to the next event this weekend at Washougal!
-Tom

endoquest
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby endoquest » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

The usual great ride report from you Tom, and a great video. Crazy how hard it is to go slow. Thanks for omitting the loop outs and all the backwards motion. Hope to be there this Sunday!
Emerald Trail Riders Association "Lifer"
Husaberg TE300,KTM525exc, Suzuki DR650, Montesa 315, Schwinn unicycle

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Nice..

Pic and video

just do not get the terrain of the area as it is ....Tom did Great

Sorry not going round 3 , going wet, and stuck making bikes work for the XC series

Tang
Tang

Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

Return to “Trials”