3/10/13 Washougal Daylight Dabs Trial Event

If your bike doesn't have a seat, you wear a funny hat, and you have more skills than most people, then this forum is for you!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

3/10/13 Washougal Daylight Dabs Trial Event

Postby Tawmass » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am

I haven't entered a trials event in over three years. Since that time I sold my trusty Montesa 315R and upgraded to a Montesa 4RT and haven't ridden it as much as I'd liked. This year I set a goal to ride more trials. I couldn't enter the first event at Dallesport due to a conflict, but was able to take in this one. A buddy of mine, Keith Reams, recently picked himself up a used Scorpa and was interested in trying an event also. We met at the Washougal MX facilities and got unloaded and signed up. Though it had been awhile, it was great to see so many familiar faces. Keith and I rode around a bit to get our bodies and bikes warmed up - that's when things went awry with Keith's bike - it wouldn't idle. It would only run with the choke on. Take off the choke and it would run only if revved. Clearly to me the pilot circuit was plugged up, but I don't know how. When Keith first got his bike, he had problems of it running out of gas. We must've dissected his carb five or 10 times before we realized his gas cap vent tube was plugged and the root cause of the problem. His carb should've been clean as a whistle and was running fine just a week prior. He finally threw his hands up and just took pictures at the various sections. Very frustrating to enter your first event and have bike troubles.

Off road I've raced expert for decades, but I'm a total newb in the trials world. I've spent almost all my life trying to go fast, but when it comes to going really slow, I haven't quite figured it out yet - most humbling. What directed and motivated me to trials is the fact that all the top extreme enduro and Endurocross riders are upper-echelon trials riders, so there must be something to it.

This event was #2 of the COTA Series. At the rider's meeting, Kirk informed everyone of the course and sections. There looked to be around 30 riders entered. There would be 10 sections for my novice class (11 for experts and champ class) and we would do these sections a total of three times. This would also be a group check, meaning the event organizers, Kirk and Ken, would match up everyone into small groups and everyone would score amongst themselves, i.e. one person would take the hole punch and pass it around for everyone to punch their own score card after each section. This group-check method allows everyone more riding time - cool.

The morning started out overcast, but after lunch it started to rain a bit. My group started out through each section, first walking the courses, then riding through them. My group's experienced person was Jillian, so she helped herd us kittens (Izaiah, Izanardo, Randy, Ian and I) around the sections. As it turned out, we went through two sections on the intermediate route by accident, but we all did it the same, so it didn't matter much, other than the routes were gnarlier. :ride COTA members Kirk and Ken had done a phenomenal job of laying out the various sections for the respective classes. My new wife, Donna, Keith's friend Clairebelle and friends Scott & Mary Wilson were on hand to watch the entertainment.
ImageImage
Jillian and Ian clean a section.
Jillian in a large, boulder section.
My fan club. Scott Wilson photo.

I normally take plenty of photos, but time constraints and the weather hampered that, so only have a few, plus some that Donna and Scott took. Throughout the first loop, we prewalked and rode each section, but we were running a tad late, so Jillian started hounding everyone to pick up the pace. At the start of the second loop it began to drizzle a bit, making a semblance of mud, plus the rocks became a bit slick. Trials tires work awesome when dry, but when it's wet, they lose some of their traction and pack up quickly. Some of the sections were fairly easy for an off-road guy, then some sections were extremely technical and methodical. Throughout the day I had [to me] moments of brilliance, plus moments of spodeness. Some of the more difficult sections I'd make it through, then some of the easier sections I would completely dork out - argh! The expert and champ sections were whacked, and those guys are incredible riders!

At the end of the day, I was tired (especially after doing two days prior of hard trailwork in TSF), but stoked to have finally entered another trials event - they're such a blast! And I only had one five-point penalty section, when I stalled my motor. Thanks heaps to COTA's Kirk & Ken for all their major, hard work to put this event on! Thanks also to the old and new friends welcoming me back into the throws again. The next event conflicts with China Hat ISDE on 4/28 for me, but I hope to make the next one after that. Donna is excited and wants to also enter a trials event in the future, so she plans on practicing more on her Gas Gas 125 (shameless plug: her Montesa 315R is now for sale). Everyone should give trials a try - your riding skills will improve immensely.

-Tom

Donna Niemela photo.
Donna Niemela photo.
Donna Niemela photo.
Donna Niemela photo.
Donna Niemela photo.
Donna Niemela photo.
Izzy and Izaiah
Thanks again Kirk!
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 3/10/13 Washougal Daylight Dabs Trial Event

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 am

Great report, Tawm ... glad you had fun! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your problems, Keith. :(
That's a real bummer.

And following Dive's best-known-method buying practices: Wanna' sell your bike to me? :D

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F (Wee Beasty); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife's: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W, '04 Honda CBR600 F4i

Return to “Trials”