Rekluse clutch

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

wr250
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Rekluse clutch

Postby wr250 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 am

I'm thinking about getting a rekluse clutch for 2016 yz450fx,

Trying to get some information, go or bad.

Thanks
412V

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: Rekluse clutch

Postby edgy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 am

I've got a z-start pro on a yz250, I like it overall, fits my style well. I mainly ride slower technical stuff in the Tsf and it works great. On more open flowing in the powerband I really don't see a difference with it. So I would say it would depend on your style and type of terrain you like to ride. I pretty much like to torque around and let the rekluse do its job(a quick stab of the the clutch will give you override of the z-start)which I really like. Down hill compression braking for me isn't an issue,except that you can't bump start the bike...for me that's a negative. One other negative is if you stall or get stuck on a steep climb,it will go backwards like your in neutral(the rear hand brake is a good idea) I learned that the hard way when I first installed it. Also the bike will start in gear with no problem,pull in the clutch! Learned that one too. It's a learning curve,at least for me I really like the set up. Bike setup... 13oz ffw,Gnarly Pipe,Rad Valve,+1T rear sprocket,and wee bit retarded ignition timing...so as you can see the bike is a little detuned for the woods and my style,although it's still a Yz,just takes a quick stab of the clutch lever. Basically,I like to ride around like a tourqy 4t with a Yz250 option at the clutch lever...best of both worlds for me.

collarbone
Beginner Class
Beginner Class

Postby collarbone » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am

I've used an EXP 3.0 since early '15 on a 500exc, and also have the EXP on a 300 2-stroke.
You will read many reviews that state the Rekluse "feels like cheating - it is that good!, blahblah". I was surprised when I had to admit this was not all hype. It was very easy to install and also get dialed in quickly. I've had one issue with the adjustable slave cylinder seal acting up - Rekluse's support gave excellent service with a repair kit and an extra seal.
Like Edgy states, the more technical terrain you tackle, the more this clutch will benefit you. I am a 75%+ TSF rider, so I instantly seen the benefits.
Having raced two-wheels going back over 32 years now, I will say this clutch has become one my top two favorite improvements or add-ons on any bike.

wr250
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby wr250 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 am

going to go with core exp,
seems to have everything i want.

I do most of my ridding at shot gun OHV, lots ruts, logs, rocks ect.

looking to try it out soon. I will let you know how it works.

Thanks for the input

300smoke
First Timer
First Timer

Postby 300smoke » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:55 pm

I too had A rekluse core in a 15 ktm 500. Super easy to install and adjust to your liking and With the standard settings I had engine braking like normal and Zero flameouts.
It does freewheel in gear with bike off making a lhrb handy to have. I have to say in general the rekluse just works.
I have a new ktm 300 now and they lug down so low without flaming out that for me I can't see the point of getting one for this bike.
17 ktm 300

Return to “Technical”