Pipe repair

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

BRN2RDE
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Pipe repair

Postby BRN2RDE » Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 am

Who in the OMRA does pipe repair? After 3 days in Moab, the pipe on Zeke's bike is pretty well mangled. Turns out, there are lots of rocks down there. Who knew?

Pacific Crest Pipe repair is local to Southern Oregon, but I would still have to ship it because they are in the middle of nowhere. And if I have to ship it, I'd just as soon send it to an OMRA affiliated shop. His pipe has 3 or 4 good dents in it, plus a few 'bonus' curves that need to be handled.

Any suggestions before I mail this off tomorrow?
BRN2RDE
2016 350XC-F
2008 Husaberg 450 Supermoto
OMRA # 11V
http://www.batterystuff.com

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Re: Pipe repair

Postby dlharte » Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 am

I've heard nothing but good about Pacific Crest.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Thu May 21, 2015 9:27 am

BRN2RDE wrote:Pacific Crest Pipe repair is local to Southern Oregon, but I would still have to ship it because they are in the middle of nowhere.

Really? It's only about 40 miles from your place to Jacksonville. I've only heard good things too about them. Darryl Reid also does pipe repair, but he's a lot further.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

BRN2RDE
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby BRN2RDE » Thu May 21, 2015 10:34 am

Yep. Used Pacific Crest as well, great results. They moved out by Jacksonville, which is pretty much on the way to nowhere from here. I've no prob. using them, but I gotta mail it as I don't have 1.5hrs round trip worth of free time this week. The walk to our shipping department is about 54 seconds if I stop by the break room for coffee. Since I have to mail it, I thought I would check with the OMRA collective for input.

BRN2RDE
2016 350XC-F
OMRA # 11V

Tucker65
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Tucker65 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:33 am

For those of you that are in to repairing your own stuff this is what I do to repair my bashed in dented pipes. I purchased a hand operated water pump used for hydro testing stuff. The one I purchased is made by Wheeler Mfg and will put out 1500 psi I think but anything up to 850 psi or so should be plenty even for the thicker pipes.

I made a couple of fittings to cap off the ends of the pipe using shaft collars and a piece of shafting turned down to the same size of the collars. The silencer end is just a blank and the cylinder end is drilled and tapped to accept the hydraulic hose form the pump.

To use the system I hook up the cylinder end and secure everything tight but I leave the silencer end loose for now. This style of pump when hooked up to your water supply will just flow through the pump and fill up whatever the output hose is connected to. I turn the water on and start filling up the pipe with water positioning the pipe so the silencer end is kinda the highest point. Fill the pipe all the way up until all the air is purged out by the water and then tighten down the cap and the silencer end.

At this point the pipe is full of water and pressurized at whatever your line pressure is from the garden hose. Now all you need to do is start pumping on the pump to remove the dents. Nice easy dents will come right out but some of the tougher ones will require more pressure. I found that at about 450-500 psi is max for a stock KTM pipe on my 300 before the seam split open. The FMF Gnarly pipe split open at about 900 psi. You might think that using this much pressure is pretty dangerous but in my opinion it is way safer than using compressed air and a torch. Water doesn't compress so if your pipe splits open the water pressure is released instantly without the dangers of compressed air.

On stubborn dents I also use a smooth faced hammer to massage the dents out when the pipe is pressurized. this really helps on the ones that might have a crease in them. What I've also noticed when using this is that if the pipes are actually bent, sometimes I'll hit something and the pipe gets pushed back towards the starter or skidplate. When the pipes gets pressurized it will actually try to unbend itself back to it's original shape. This really helps when trying to get it to fit right when installing it back on the bike. Still you sometimes have to put something in the cylinder end and tweak it to get the right angle so everything lines up.

Here is the pump I'm using.

Fittings I made to hook up the pump and cap off the silencer end.

First pipe I tried it on.
ImageImage

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Thu May 28, 2015 10:04 am

OK that is a cool set up. Where did you purchase that pump? I guess I could google it as I might need this set up to add to the long list of MC specific tools that Max will assume ownership of some day or be sold for pennies on the dollar if he gets out of riding.

Tucker65
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Tucker65 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:49 pm

James 17A
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby James 17A » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:27 am

John tucker the "mad scientist" cool idea,should even work on 4 stroke pipes. Its amazing what a little hydrolic preasure can do!
So where do we mail out pipes and how much to repair them tuck?
You ride to much anyway you need more work!
37U

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Another vote and thumbs up for Pacific Crest. Max tweeked pipe #2 at the Chicken, dented and pushed into the cylinder stud. Pipe one was completely torn out of the cylinder and sort of flat. I had business in Medford last week so I figured I would save frt one direction and dropthem off. I contacted them and they told me to drop them at OMO KTM. Got the "cash" discount and the best part is they had them done and back to the shop prior to my heading North on Friday morning saving frt again!

They don't look new but they look very good and are ready for more thrashing by the Yute. Great deal and great service.

note: if you are going go drive 5 hours with 2 2 stroke pipes in the cab of your pickup expect to then smell like a 2 stroke pipe and recieve said comment from your wife as soon as you walk through the door. I don't want to talk about how I know this.

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. Neither pipe fit. DANG IT!

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am

I ended up putting a chunk of large dowel in the vise to slid into the header over and leverage against. It took a little over an hour of tweeking/pushing/fitting/bending/fitting and sweating using my significant gurth but both fit decent now. Not sure if they missed a step at Pacific Crest or not. I was surprised how easily they bend. Happy but not as enthusiastic as I would be if they mounted right up as expected.

BRN2RDE
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby BRN2RDE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Probably used the wrong jig? The 65 pipe they did for the boy was absolutley spot on. It went on so easy I took it back off just to be sure I did not miss something.
BRN2RDE
2016 350XC-F
OMRA # 11V

dirteyes
Pee-Wee Class
Pee-Wee Class

Postby dirteyes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:58 pm

I agree with BRN2RDE idea in using the wrong jig. i had the same experience, but after some trial and error I successfully corrected it.

Return to “Technical”