Can't start 250 XC-W

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

kalnhobbs
Beginner Class
Beginner Class

Can't start 250 XC-W

Postby kalnhobbs » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I just replaced my primary case gasket for the second time in the last month (learning the hard way some mechanic skills...), and I am having a recurring issue. Both times I've finished up and got the bike back together, when I first kick start it, it starts perfect (1st kick). I say kick start because since I tore my ACL last summer the battery has run low sitting in the garage - I did not put a tender on it like I probably should have. I'll run the bike around the apartment complex and go through the gears and whatnot and everything seems fine.

But then after a more prolonged time, I'll let the engine die and it will not restart. The eStart is still not charged up enough to work and the kickstart won't get the engine to run either. Additionally, sometimes when I kick, I can hear what sounds like the eStart motor trying to start the bike also. Did I line something up wrong when I put the case on? I did not have my hand anywhere near the "magic button," so I have no idea why I can hear the electric motor when I kick. I can get the sound to go away if I push the estart button and get it to turn the gears some. The kickstart still doesn't get the engine to start though...

I was able to get the bike to run the first time this happened by bump starting it on a hill near Diamond hill. I rode the bike gingerly back to camp, and when I got there I could not replicate the problem, as it started flawlessly again. I attributed it to the engine having warmed fully and the battery having charged up some (it would estart at this point). Went on a 40 mile ride with my Dad and a buddy and did not have any issues really other than noticing the bike would die if I let it idle too long with no throttle input (long downhills, stopped at the road, etc.), which I made a mental note to play with the idle screw at a later time.

After discovering another leak in the case, I pulled it apart and put it back together a second time, and now had the starting issue come up again after letting the bike die down the street from my apartment. Not having a hill near me, I haven't tried to bump start it again, but I am concerned I did not set up something correctly in the bike. Before it died this second time, I noticed the engine sounded a little different when in neutral and having the clutch disengaged vs engaged when at low RPM. Then it died because the idle was too low, and then I discovered the problem as noted above.

Sorry for the long windedness... Just mind dumping as many details I can (just came up from the garage).

Bike: 2013 ktm 250 xc-w

TLDR; Kickstart and eStart can't get the bike running after it stalls or dies, and sometimes I can hear the electric motor engaging automatically when using the kickstarter.

Kal
16x

kalnhobbs
Beginner Class
Beginner Class

Re: Can't start 250 XC-W

Postby kalnhobbs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 am

*diamond mill

Kal
16x

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:07 am

Hey Cal,
It sounds like your electric starter bendix is not disengaging, i.e. it stays connected therefore causing drag to your motor. The KTM 2-stroke starters are a total afterthought and MUST be routinely maintained by regreasing them. An easy test would be to remove your starter (it's easy), then try kickstarting the motor to see if it then works proper. If so, then there's your problem. If that's the case (pun intended), then it's time to dissect your starter and starter gears to clean and regrease. Don't forget the little needle bearings within the actual starter as mine ground to powder from lack of lube once.

Hope that helps,
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

kalnhobbs
Beginner Class
Beginner Class

Postby kalnhobbs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks Tom - back to the garage...

Kal
16x

kalnhobbs
Beginner Class
Beginner Class

Postby kalnhobbs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Tawmass wrote:Hey Cal,
It sounds like your electric starter bendix is not disengaging, i.e. it stays connected therefore causing drag to your motor. The KTM 2-stroke starters are a total afterthought and MUST be routinely maintained by regreasing them. An easy test would be to remove your starter (it's easy), then try kickstarting the motor to see if it then works proper. If so, then there's your problem. If that's the case (pun intended), then it's time to dissect your starter and starter gears to clean and regrease. Don't forget the little needle bearings within the actual starter as mine ground to powder from lack of lube once.

Hope that helps,
-Tom

This is what you are talking about ya (minus the wet mod and battery swap)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2409u_K-Ne4

Kal
16x

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 pm

That looks like a good guide.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Technical”