The Best No Fog?

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

The Best No Fog?

Postby dlharte » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Yep that's a question as I don't know. Back when dirt was still white and I races I never fogged up. I was in good shape back then to which had alot to do with it.

Max is having fogging issues at technical events and I really don't like seeing him without eye protection. I just set up a 100% dual pane lense with roll offs. That was a pretty big operation that totally lacked any fun factor. I garage tested baby shampoo on an old lens and that looks promising and falls in nicely with my cheapness gene. Online I see some stuff called Fog Tech and Cat Crap (yep thats the name) with mixed reviews. What do you fellow heavy breathers use and like?

Thanks in advance

Dan & Max
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: The Best No Fog?

Postby edgy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Don't breathe? Sounds weird but I've used starch and seemed to help. Cut a tater and smear it on wipe it off, repeat. Cheaper than scotts no fog and edible too! I now have to wear my glasses to see decently riding and would love to find the magical elixir, double pane and maybe a haber or scotts OTG fan system? But for a one time shot, the tater seems to would decent for me, although makes me want FF's...LOL

Maverick
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Maverick » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 am

Some people use Fog-X, I can't believe that stuff doesn't hurt the lenses but I should try some out on an old lens. I've tried the Scott anti-fog spray and I don't think it works very well.
Jon Beaver
57U
2017 KTM 500 EXC
2016 KTM 350 XCF
2015 YZ 450F

keeseckb
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby keeseckb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 am

Smith Intake goggles with their dual pane lens. Smith is the only company I've found that has dual pane lenses that you can mount roll offs too. In fact, the Intake goggle comes with a set of roll offs so all you have to buy is the dual pane lens. The lens doesn't have the bumps on the front so you'll have to rig up some fishing line under the film so it doesn't stick when wet. I've been told by several old school racers like yourself that the fishing line works better than the bumps anyways :D

I've had terrible fogging issues in the past and the Smith intake is the only thing I've found that eliminated the problem. I can fog a lens in July with 10% humidity.

I haven't tried the lens that has a fan built into it yet but would imagine that would work good too.
Blake Keesecker

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:18 am

I'm a fellow fogger and I've tried numerous things over the years, including Cat Crap, etc. All those items are simply a layering item and, depending on the consistency/thickness of the potion, produce different levels of anti fogging. If it's thick like the Cat Crap, it works fairly well, but also due to the thickness, it interferes with the vision. Scott's No-Fog Cloth works well, but it's thin and, if the moisture builds up in the slightest, a drop of H2O runs down the lens rendering vision (through the run) useless.

I've personally had the best luck with double-pane goggles (even snow goggles work well) and a thumb wiper called Ski-Gee. The double-pane goggles seem to work best with Rain-X on the outside and a small amount of No-Fog on the inside. Be extra careful as the inside lens seems to scratch quite easily for some reason. The thumb wiper I use is from a snow-ski shop. I simply duct tape it to my thumb (very important, or it will come off!) and go with it. I go with the Ski-Gee instead of Roll-Offs due to the complications of the Roll offs.

For non-competition riding I simply use safety glasses, as they have many advantages like:
* Cheap, and I know you like that too
* If they fog, simply lower them on your nose and peer over the top until you get moving
* they unfog quickly once you start moving

My .02,
-Tom

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

wr250
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby wr250 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm

I use rain X anti fog on the inside and regular rain X on the out side. this seems to work the best for me and it makes cleaning them after a ride or race a lot easier. it also works on keeping the role off from sticking to the goggles.

Darin
40v

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Good input thanks everyone. We are tied in with 100% so I will be finding a way to get it done with their great goggles. Sounds like double pane is the hot set up but it's a PITA to put roll offs on one of their 2 pane lens. Back in the day RainX was fantastic on Jones goggles lens. The lens wasn't lexan and I have found rainx works on lexan but not nearly as good. The Jones lens was really hard. Barrett has a good story and a nice scar from a pair of Jones goggles.

There are a couple products on ebay for the outside that could replace roll offs in wet weather. One is Aquapel but it looks like it is too hot for lexan. The other is a product out of Canada by futureproducts3000. Sounds suspicious... but they answered my question saying it could be used on lexan. Of course they claim it's fantastic, little expensive but I may try it.

it would be nice to get away from roll off for all but the supper muddy races. I will get it figured out, need those goggles on his face protecting his eyes.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

BRN2RDE
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby BRN2RDE » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:35 am

Well, let us know what you come up with. For me, I wear safety glasses whenever practical. Obviously no good in dust, but in the damp they work pretty good. I rainX the outside, anti fog the inside. They will still fog up when sitting still on wet days, but clear up as soon as you get moving. Rick Goodman handed me a pair of these at the 24hr, the foam cut down on the amount of wind that gets around normal safety glasses. Zeke can't wear them yet, because his dome is still to small.
BRN2RDE
2016 350XC-F
2008 Husaberg 450 Supermoto
OMRA # 11V
http://www.batterystuff.com

xt500max
Newbie Class
Newbie Class

Postby xt500max » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:33 am

I have been trying those DS helmets (Arai and Fox) in combination with glasses or goggles.
Not surprisingly, they can fog but there are options....
Keeping the Arai (my son has the Fox) slightly opened leaves the wind to vent into the face without the water and keeps it from fogging.
Glasses or goggles are a second line of protection.
Even in a small rain, the DS shields work wonders compared to those with goggles.
Usually one of those terry cloths across the lens will dry the lens enough to make it work.
The Fox DS helmet is almost as good as the Arai XD at a fraction of the cost. The lens for Fox are proportionally cheaper too.
Just another option.

xt500max

Return to “Technical”