Woods - best place to learn technique

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Woods - best place to learn technique

Postby Ace! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am

What would you consider the best resources for riding technique/fundamentals if you couldn't spend it on the bike? I'd like to get better at woods riding, but feel I need to understand the fundamentals before I swing a leg over the bike. Another way of putting it is I need some classroom time before riding time. Any suggestions?

Dirtwise videos, books, etc.?
2011 DR650 - plated

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Woods - best place to learn technique

Postby Ace! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:12 pm

My wife may have just given me an out on a prior commitment. The Dirtwise Two-Day In-Depth class may be an option.

I ride a 350-lbs. DR650. Would I be setting myself up for failure (i.e., being too tired picking it up)?

Opinions? Who's attended and did you feel it added a lot of value to your riding?

My goal is to ride single track on the DR650 more confidently (no, I don't need to hear I have the wrong bike for single track). I want to get better riding a bigger bike in tight spaces.
2011 DR650 - plated

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 pm

You could start by riding the easier trails up on John's Peak. And to really understand the physics of riding off road, getting a trials bike and practicing will accelerate your learnings. Otherwise it's seat time on the bike. Wattsy's class is tailored toward bonafide dirty bikes, whereas your mighty DR may be overkill, but could be done.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Tom. John's Peak is definitely a nice place to ride and close. I was hoping to have some information/guidance on taking it to the next level. I think I may have picked up bad habits and have continued to ride the same way over the last 30 years, and that it may be time pay more attention to or learn "proper" technique.
2011 DR650 - plated

Naeve44
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Naeve44 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Go ride up in the woods with a better rider to tell you things to do while you're riding. Best way to get better is seat time and riding with faster people. If someone would ride behind you to see what you do and give you advice I think that'd be the best for you. Ask my stepson I'm sure I drive him nuts riding behind him singing stupid songs how I ride so much better standing up then sitting down trying to get him to stand up more. If you're going to be riding single track with that bike I'd make sure my bars were tall enough to be comfortable standing up. Riding single track sitting down is slower and alot more work.
2015 KTM 350xcf
2008 RM 250 44U
2003 RM 250 10e
1999 Honda Valkyrie

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Naeve44 wrote:Go ride up in the woods with a better rider to tell you things to do while you're riding. Best way to get better is seat time and riding with faster people.

Totally agree. You are part of the local MRA aren't you? If so, there are a plethora of people that would be more than happy to take you to the next level. If you're not a member, why not? :ride
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm

The Watts class is awesome. I would not use the DR however, beg or borrow a full on dirt bike with the agreement you will replace anything you damage. You will damage something in his class on a regular dirt bike but you could do major damage to the DR.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Good advice guys. Thanks.
2011 DR650 - plated

LonnieTheGreat
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby LonnieTheGreat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 am

My best advice would be to go riding with better riders with thr goal to make it over the same technical trails without ending up on the ground.
Lonnie WhoBoughtAnEasierBikeTo pickUp
I may be hung as an insurgent, but I will spit in the face of the hangman!!

Return to “Technical”