How Do You Dispose Your Old, Worn Tires?

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

How Do You Dispose Your Old, Worn Tires?

Postby Tawmass » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 am

I'd swear there was a previous thread on here about this, but I could not find it. So I'm wondering what others do with their old, used-up tires? I changed out my skins yesterday for my 3-hunny and now have a set of used Pirelli Scorpion MS tires that I need to get rid of. Then I remembered I have a stack of used bumpy tires in the back I also need to unload. Options I could do are:

* Take to Les Schwab and pay $5/tire for them to dispose. Don't like that since that's yet more money out.
* Give them away. To who? I've been to poker runs before with a 'Free!' sign and they seemed to go fast.
* Toss them over the midnight fence at a local tire or bike shop. Not very moral, they shouldn't have to take my recycle costs and would suck to get popped.
* Go redneck and just toss them in the forest somewhere. Really? Don't even THINK of doing this!
* Make yard planters. Okay, I had neighbors as a kid that did that with car tires. Silly, and wouldn't work with smaller dirtbike knobs.
* Give them away to someone who has a track. I have a couple friends that this worked with, but they can take only so many tires.
* Take the tip from a nameless friend, and toss the spent tires into a mutual friend's backyard when he's not home. :)
* Follow the Harley-poser display and do burnouts till the tire's gone. Interesting, but you still have to get rid of the tires when finished.

We're all in the same boat, so am curious if anyone has a better idea?
-Tom

You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

DWinters
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: How Do You Dispose Your Old, Worn Tires?

Postby DWinters » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 am

Tom, here in Deschutes county the land fill has a once a year tire collection day where you can take in up to 10 car tires. I have done this before and had the person in charge till me that MC tires can go right in to the land fill (?). Landfill personal say NO! Soooo I went and got both to meet and now I can take MC tires to the dump just like all my old riding wear. Another way to make it easier is sawalls the tires into three pieces. The reason tires can't go into the landfill is they trap gas from the rotting material and float to the top.
I know too much info.
DW

KTMARCHER
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby KTMARCHER » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:48 am

Done the sawing thing with a table saw. Other than the black sawdust, no problems.

If you pay more money to dump them, they become acceptable ---go figure

Wells64z
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Wells64z » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 am

I went to Tire Disposal & Recycling center in Portland a few months ago and paid $1/tire.

JoeH
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:34 am

Bomb run???????????

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 am

JoeH wrote:Bomb run???????????

:ride :D
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am

Use them stacked up about 2 feet high as a planter for melons, they like to have nice warm dirt to grow in, and you can reap the harvest.

KTMARCHER
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby KTMARCHER » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 pm

I hear they taste like chicken.

DNFDave
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby DNFDave » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm

I do the midnight garbage thing. I've never had them say anything about MC tires at the dump.
Dave White
President of the Reid Brown fan club

DWinters
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby DWinters » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 pm

So can we bring tires to you Dave ?

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 pm

DNFDave wrote:I do the midnight garbage thing. I've never had them say anything about MC tires at the dump.

Says the man with the commercial trash truck!!

Darin Williams
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Darin Williams » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I throw one in my recycle can every so often and they are hauled off to the dump. I haven't had a problem yet but I don't do it very often....... \ :-" [-o<
Darin Williams
Uncle Yodis
2013 KTM 250SX only rode on Sundays

DWinters
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby DWinters » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am

All this trash talk. Oh my.

BRN2RDE
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby BRN2RDE » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:50 pm

I suppose using them to start burn piles would be considered bad form? I don't know anyone that would try that, btw

Anyone ever try to 'straighten one out?' I have this redneck thought that using bits of them for bumper guards on my moto van would be kinda cool....

I also think cutting the knobs off and putting them in a jar for a race trophy would be a keeper. I love unique trophies.
BRN2RDE
2016 350XC-F
2008 Husaberg 450 Supermoto
OMRA # 11V
http://www.batterystuff.com

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm

BRN2RDE wrote:I suppose using them to start burn piles would be considered bad form? I don't know anyone that would try that, btw

Anyone ever try to 'straighten one out?' I have this redneck thought that using bits of them for bumper guards on my moto van would be kinda cool....

I also think cutting the knobs off and putting them in a jar for a race trophy would be a keeper. I love unique trophies.

So.......give old tires away as trophies, you say!! I like it; who needs another piece of plastic anyway. Could save ETRA a ton of money at the Funky Chicken. :-"

Return to “Technical”