2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Wee Beasty: Checking/Adj Valve Clearances

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Wee Beasty: Checking/Adj Valve Cleara

Postby E-Ticket » Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Good looking setup, Danilopucci ...! :thumbup:

- ET
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F (Wee Beasty); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife's: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W, '04 Honda CBR600 F4i

TSF-Phantom
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby TSF-Phantom » Wed May 29, 2013 5:13 pm

How many miles are on the Machine?
Know your limits... exceed them often.

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

TSF-Phantom wrote:How many miles are on the Machine?

If you're referring to the Wee Beasty: 47.3 hours / 797 miles
Which is way low for me. I've been off the bike for a quite a while due to personal reasons.

But that will be changing this spring/summer with getting back into trail riding, a local dual-sport or two,
and then the Colorado 500 in August and riding in Moab in October.

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Danilopucci
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Danilopucci » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:05 pm

My Kate has 438 KM with the 14.6 hours. As soon as my knee gets better I will get this mileage clock to spin!

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Danilopucci wrote:My Kate has 438 KM with the 14.6 hours. As soon as my knee gets better I will get this mileage clock to spin!

Ack! What a bummer. :(

Heal up fast, my friend ... and we will see you on the trails before you know it. :ride

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

conart
First Timer
First Timer

Postby conart » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:33 am

E-ticket, your wee beasty posts are some of the greatest instructionals I have seen for the 350, anywhere. If you wrote a book I would buy it in a heartbeat...GREAT STUFF!!
Last night, I went to your post on valve adjustment (2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Wee Beasty: Checking/Adj Valve Clearances) and all the images were pulled down...please repost them, I am about to do an adjustment on my bike and your post is like a bible to me.
Really appreciate it if you could possibly do this, I am sure there are countless others out there who feel the same.
THANKS! Keep posting! -Conart

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:55 am

conart wrote:E-ticket, your wee beasty posts are some of the greatest instructionals I have seen for the 350, anywhere. If you wrote a book I would buy it in a heartbeat...GREAT STUFF!!
Last night, I went to your post on valve adjustment (2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Wee Beasty: Checking/Adj Valve Clearances) and all the images were pulled down...please repost them, I am about to do an adjustment on my bike and your post is like a bible to me.
Really appreciate it if you could possibly do this, I am sure there are countless others out there who feel the same.
THANKS! Keep posting! -Conart

Well, there's the not-so-hidden cost of being popular, eh!
It appears that the "Wee Beasty" threads have become popular enough that the photo linking/downloads have exceeded my "free monthly bandwidth.

============================================= (From PhotoBucket) =============
What does "Bandwidth Exceeded" mean?

Free users have limited bandwidth for their accounts, and that limit is set to 10GBs of bandwidth per month .

Bandwidth consumption is counted by the amount of data that is transferred from your account to other sites across the web. The size of the image/video will increase the amount of bandwidth you are using when linking them out to other sites.

Lets say you have 100 photos that are 1MB in size each, and you are linking every single one of them out to your blog/website. 100 images at 1MB in size means that you are linking out just under 100MBs in data size for all those images. Those photos would need to be viewed 100 times a piece to reach the 10GB Bandwidth cap.

If you only linked out 10 photos that are 1MB in size, those 10 photo would need to be viewed over 10,000 times before you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

If you had 10 videos on your blog/website that were 100MBs in size, that would equal out to just under 1GB in file size. If those videos were viewed 100 times total, you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

If you do reach the bandwidth cap for the free account, your linked out photos will be replaced by a Photobucket image that states "this account has exceeded its bandwidth". The only way to have that image removed over your photos is to upgrade to a Plus subscription, or wait for your bandwidth to reset for the month. Your bandwidth will reset to zero every month on the day you registered your account. You can find this date in your User Settings, under the Account tab.

If you upgrade to a Plus account, you will no longer have to worry about the bandwidth exceeded message, as all Plus accounts have unlimited bandwidth.

Upgrading to a Plus account will only remove that message from photos that are linked out from your upgraded account. It will not remove the bandwidth exceeded message from images that are linked out from another users account.

Having users return to the site to view your photos through direct links does not use any bandwidth. Bandwidth is only used when the image is posted on another site to be viewed.
========================================================

So it looks like I'll need to cough up $29.99 just so peeps can see my pics.
Hmmm ... I'll have to think about one a bit. Cough up or just hang on until the end of the month.
Decisions, decisions ...

E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

conart
First Timer
First Timer

Postby conart » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Ahh the price of fame...I'll tell you this, if you put all your technical wisdoms on a disk with the photos, I would gladly pay for it. I'd bet I'm not the only one. i'm a 2 strike guy, now a 4 stroke convert, so I would love to see a top end rebuild, done in your style of break'n down the technical. I love my 350, but the 4 stroke maintenance scares me.
Any way hope you re-post this stuff, your fans are counting on you.

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 pm

And .... the pics are back! Better yet -- no more pic issues for a year! Image

I was contacted by the following *wonderful* peeps on http://WWW.KTMTALK.com ... who all chipped in a bit ... and together we were able to pay Photobucket for the extra bandwidth for a year.

Many, many thanks to my following KTMTalk'ers who helped me out:

brianpc73
MMMPower
burkejm01
daju
bntlever

:thumbup:

Please do send these guys a public "thank-you!" ... or a private PM.

I know I will. :D

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

JonU
First Timer
First Timer

Postby JonU » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for such a great pictorial/instructional thread on how to adjust the valves. I just did my first check today (a bit later than called for but better late than never) after 20 hours. I thought the shop checked them when i took it in for the first service. After getting everything pulled apart I was just inside of the specs posted. They were all leaning towards the tight end but still within spec. I was pretty happy when I was all wrapped up just 2.5 hours after getting started (mainly due to this thread). Thanks again!

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:37 pm

JonU wrote:Just wanted to say thank you for such a great pictorial/instructional thread on how to adjust the valves. I just did my first check today (a bit later than called for but better late than never) after 20 hours. I thought the shop checked them when i took it in for the first service. After getting everything pulled apart I was just inside of the specs posted. They were all leaning towards the tight end but still within spec. I was pretty happy when I was all wrapped up just 2.5 hours after getting started (mainly due to this thread). Thanks again!

My pleasure, sir ... glad it was helpful! :D

-- E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Crankarm
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Crankarm » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:41 am

Hello Mr E Ticket
I have a 2014 350 EXC
I can't thank you enough for the valve check thread with photos
This is my first 4 stroke (been on 2 stroke KTM's for 20 years) so the engine seems very complicated compared to what i am used to
I did the valve check at 3.4 hours
Looks to me like all measurements are within tollerance although the right side int/exh are not in the middle of the spec range
however, the one issue I have is that the only set of feeler gauges I could find really didn't cover the range all that well. The set only had 3 sizes in the range needed (.127, .152, and .178mm)
I think I will put it all back together, try to find a better set of feeler gauges and then check again at 10 hours
thanks again

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Crankarm wrote:Hello Mr E Ticket
I have a 2014 350 EXC
I can't thank you enough for the valve check thread with photos
This is my first 4 stroke (been on 2 stroke KTM's for 20 years) so the engine seems very complicated compared to what i am used to
I did the valve check at 3.4 hours
Looks to me like all measurements are within tollerance although the right side int/exh are not in the middle of the spec range
however, the one issue I have is that the only set of feeler gauges I could find really didn't cover the range all that well. The set only had 3 sizes in the range needed (.127, .152, and .178mm)
I think I will put it all back together, try to find a better set of feeler gauges and then check again at 10 hours
thanks again

You're welcome, sir!

And yah, I had some of the same frustration finding feeler guauges in the range that I needed.
Finding better/more appropriate feeler guages and checking again at 10 hours sounds like a good plan.
Then you will truly know exactly what the clearances are.

The good news is, that if they are in spec., the valve clearances don't seem to change much over time.

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Crankarm
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Crankarm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:34 am

A trip to Sears yesterday solved my issue with having the correct range of feeler gauges
Their Craftsman 36 blade feeler gauge set #40811 contains
.08, .10, .13, .15, .18, .20mm
covers the whole range

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 am

Crankarm wrote:A trip to Sears yesterday solved my issue with having the correct range of feeler gauges
Their Craftsman 36 blade feeler gauge set #40811 contains
.08, .10, .13, .15, .18, .20mm
covers the whole range

Good to know ... thanks! - ET
"AYHIN"

Return to “Technical”