2012 KTM 350 EXC-F: Building the perfect "Wee Beasty"

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F: Building the perfect "Wee Beasty"

Postby E-Ticket » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 am

drstk wrote:
E-Ticket wrote:De-Smogifyin' Testin'

In the spirit of being methodical and *sure*, I decided to see if I could disable (without removing) the emissions
equipment and be able to detect a difference that each component had on performance.

First up was the Secondary Air System (SAS).
It's the long, lateral, rubber tube below the charcoal canister that connects to the aluminum canister that bolts on to the head just above the exhaust port. Together they inject fresh air into the exhaust port (between the exhaust valve and the header.)

snip....

So how to disable the SAS without removing it? Got it! Just plug ... or cap the dang thing. Easy-peesy.

Slap the gas tank back on a go for a short ride. Remember ... I'm only changing one thing at a time.

And EUREKA! NO MORE IRRITATING POPPING ON DE-ACCELERATION!!

Just smooth power up and down. Yes-s-s-s-s-s-sssssss....!

Love this thread! It has helped me a lot. Did a valve adjustment with ease following your guide

Got a question about the SAS. Without removing the SAS and solenoid valve, is it okay to just plug/cap the SAS and ride it for a couple hours? Would like to test the bike a bit before I remove them.

Way cool. :thumbup:

And yes, it is okay to just plug the SAS hose/filter.
The SAS assembly -- and the charcoal cannister and solenoid valve -- are two different emissions circuits, aren't connected, and have nothing to do with each other.

So test away, homie! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F (Wee Beasty); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife's: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W, '04 Honda CBR600 F4i

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 am

Well, there's the not-so-hidden cost of being popular, eh!
It appears that the "Wee Beasty" threads have become popular enough that the photo linking/downloads have exceeded my "free monthly bandwidth.

============================================= (From PhotoBucket) =============
What does "Bandwidth Exceeded" mean?

Free users have limited bandwidth for their accounts, and that limit is set to 10GBs of bandwidth per month .

Bandwidth consumption is counted by the amount of data that is transferred from your account to other sites across the web. The size of the image/video will increase the amount of bandwidth you are using when linking them out to other sites.

Lets say you have 100 photos that are 1MB in size each, and you are linking every single one of them out to your blog/website. 100 images at 1MB in size means that you are linking out just under 100MBs in data size for all those images. Those photos would need to be viewed 100 times a piece to reach the 10GB Bandwidth cap.

If you only linked out 10 photos that are 1MB in size, those 10 photo would need to be viewed over 10,000 times before you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

If you had 10 videos on your blog/website that were 100MBs in size, that would equal out to just under 1GB in file size. If those videos were viewed 100 times total, you would reach the 10GB bandwidth cap.

If you do reach the bandwidth cap for the free account, your linked out photos will be replaced by a Photobucket image that states "this account has exceeded its bandwidth". The only way to have that image removed over your photos is to upgrade to a Plus subscription, or wait for your bandwidth to reset for the month. Your bandwidth will reset to zero every month on the day you registered your account. You can find this date in your User Settings, under the Account tab.

If you upgrade to a Plus account, you will no longer have to worry about the bandwidth exceeded message, as all Plus accounts have unlimited bandwidth.

Upgrading to a Plus account will only remove that message from photos that are linked out from your upgraded account. It will not remove the bandwidth exceeded message from images that are linked out from another users account.

Having users return to the site to view your photos through direct links does not use any bandwidth. Bandwidth is only used when the image is posted on another site to be viewed.
========================================================

So it looks like I'll need to cough up $29.99 just so peeps can see my pics.
Hmmm ... I'll have to think about one a bit. Cough up or just hang on until the end of the month.
Decisions, decisions ...

E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Danilopucci
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Danilopucci » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am

create a paypal account and as for contributions. You might make a living out of it if you continue to do such a good work on these pics and description!

mprada421
First Timer
First Timer

Postby mprada421 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I'd like to tell you a couple of things that may not solve your bandwidth issues, but may make you feel better about the time that you have clearly invested.
#1 I just created this username so I could reply this message to you (I'm from Wisconsin and got to your thread from a search I did a couple of weeks ago)

#2 I am a Mechanical Engineer and as I go through your build I am astounded at how thoroughly you go through everything, thank you for that!
It gives me hope that not everyone treats their bike like garbage, and as an Engineer I value someone seeing the mechanical marvel that they own and treating it as such.

#3 your thread on checking your valves was much more informative than the repair manual that I own for my KTM. (I like pictures!!)
So, I figured it was worth my time to let you know that you have done a marvelous job! =D>
Have a great day!
-Michael...

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm

mprada421 wrote:I'd like to tell you a couple of things that may not solve your bandwidth issues, but may make you feel better about the time that you have clearly invested.
#1 I just created this username so I could reply this message to you (I'm from Wisconsin and got to your thread from a search I did a couple of weeks ago)

#2 I am a Mechanical Engineer and as I go through your build I am astounded at how thoroughly you go through everything, thank you for that!
It gives me hope that not everyone treats their bike like garbage, and as an Engineer I value someone seeing the mechanical marvel that they own and treating it as such.

#3 your thread on checking your valves was much more informative than the repair manual that I own for my KTM. (I like pictures!!)
So, I figured it was worth my time to let you know that you have done a marvelous job! =D>
Have a great day!
-Michael...

Many thanks for the kind words, sir! :thumbup:

And on your #2 ...?
I babied the "Wee Beasty" during the prep-n-build phase. Because I knew she was going to get abused and ignored once she got out on the trails. :lol:

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm

And .... the pics are back! Better yet -- no more pic issues for a year! Image

I was contacted by the following *wonderful* peeps on http://WWW.KTMTALK.com ... who all chipped in a bit ... and together we were able to pay Photobucket for the extra bandwidth for a year.

Many, many thanks to my following KTMTalk'ers who helped me out:

brianpc73
MMMPower
burkejm01
daju
bntlever

:thumbup:

Please do send these guys a public "thank-you!" ... or a private PM.

I know I will. :D

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

icedvolvo
First Timer
First Timer

Postby icedvolvo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 pm

icedvolvo wrote:A couple of quick additions to the thread (although I traded my 2012 Kato for a 2013 Husey) they are of course still relevant:
5: I also found the combination of Pivot Pegz and Stegz was an amazing improvement on an already awesome machine! The Pivot Pegz alone made my wrists very sore and I was going to chuck them but with the Stegz added just freakin awesome! Now this is not cheap mod at >$500 for the combo but for me it was worth every cent but your mileage may vary so be warned: some people luv em and some hate em!...

My Stegz for the Husey finally arrived but there's an issue due to the air filter/subframe for Husey owners; You have to remove the Stegz every time you check/clean the air filter. This would just be a pain if that was it but the real problem is that the new bolts supplied with the Stegz (see photo) are "coarse" (possibly stainless or titanium or cobalt or something ???). The issue is that repetitively screwing a "coarse" bolt into/out of the steel frame may stuff the thread pretty quickly!!! Normally I would never recommend using grease on a frame bolt but in the case of the Husey users may consider a little lithium grease on the bolts. I have asked Stez for an opinion and will post here if they reply.

This is NOT and issue for the KTM cos it does its airfilter/subframe differently!
stegz-husey.jpg
stegz-husey.jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

PS thanks to E Ticket and all those who helped out! E Ticket: KTM should employ you to write manuals for them!!!

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

icedvolvo wrote:
icedvolvo wrote:A couple of quick additions to the thread (although I traded my 2012 Kato for a 2013 Husey) they are of course still relevant:
5: I also found the combination of Pivot Pegz and Stegz was an amazing improvement on an already awesome machine! The Pivot Pegz alone made my wrists very sore and I was going to chuck them but with the Stegz added just freakin awesome! Now this is not cheap mod at >$500 for the combo but for me it was worth every cent but your mileage may vary so be warned: some people luv em and some hate em!...

My Stegz for the Husey finally arrived but there's an issue due to the air filter/subframe for Husey owners; You have to remove the Stegz every time you check/clean the air filter. This would just be a pain if that was it but the real problem is that the new bolts supplied with the Stegz (see photo) are "coarse" (possibly stainless or titanium or cobalt or something ???). The issue is that repetitively screwing a "coarse" bolt into/out of the steel frame may stuff the thread pretty quickly!!! Normally I would never recommend using grease on a frame bolt but in the case of the Husey users may consider a little lithium grease on the bolts. I have asked Stez for an opinion and will post here if they reply.

PS thanks to E Ticket and all those who helped out! E Ticket: KTM should employ you to write manuals for them!!!

What .... And have you guys yelling at *me* all the time? :lol:

Thanks for the head's-up -- that might help out another owner. :thumbup: - ET
"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm

You guys are in charge of the monkey house while I'm gone.
No big parties and try to help each other out if someone has a question or issue.

Me? My riding buddy Dive and I are leaving for Colorado on Friday morning to ride in the Colorado 500.
Bags schlepped between hotels and 500 miles of Crested Butte, Ouray, Telluride, etc.. So I *should* have some stories to tell, eh! :^)

After I get back, I'll update everyone on my new Acerbis 4.0 gas tank, TM Design skid plate, and Pirelli Scorpion and MT-43 tires.
And yes, I took a *ton* of pics while installing them.

Film at 11:00, eh.

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Danilopucci
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Danilopucci » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Nice E, have fun there!

Hey, quick one. I'm looking to buy a muffler Akrapovic, but struggling to find the correct model. Would you know what it is?

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Danilopucci wrote:Nice E, have fun there!

Hey, quick one. I'm looking to buy a muffler Akrapovic, but struggling to find the correct model. Would you know what it is?

I bought my Akropovic via a private party on KTMTalk.com many years ago.
In fact, it's been on 4 bikes now. And yes, it's been repacked several times. :^)

I don't know if I can locate that actual model/part number -- but I'll look around.
I do know it was the Enduro model with the 92 db, spark-arrestor insert. (which I use.)

- ET
"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Colorado 500 Ride Prep

Earlier this year, I got invited to attend the 38th Annual Colorado 500 Invitational Charity Ride .... woo-hoo!! :dancing1:
(Ride report to follow ... I will post link to it.)

Pirelli Tires

The Colorado 500 is run over 5 days, with a couple of 175 mile days (Crested Butte to Ouray), and some pavement miles thrown in as well to get from riding area to riding area.
So ... as much as I love the Dunlop D803 trials tire for our PacNW trails ... I knew that wouldn't cut it for pavement and major rocks. lol.

So after some investigation and recommendations I settled on the following setup:
Front: Pirelli Scorpion XC Heavy-Duty, Mid Hard, M/C 51R w/ heavy-duty tube
Rear: Pirelli MT-43 Trials Tire w/ extra heavy-duty tube

(Editor's Note: my apologies ... but I had a new Dunlop and Pirelli rear trials tire side-by-side ... and forget to take a picture of them. My bad.)

Internal Rim Weights

I've been using the *very* light, plastic, Motion Pro LiteLoc 1.6 Rim Lock Motion Pro rim lock up front.
They weigh only 44 grams (1.55 oz) with the aluminum nut and beveled washer.

Motion Pro LiteLoc 1.6 Rim Lock
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/11-0058/

And because I knew that we were going to be some fairly significant pavement miles ... I installed
rim weights inside the rim to help balance out the tire.

Two of the 1/4 oz. weights fit perfectly in between the spokes:

I came up with the trick of using two 3/8" extensions at the same time ... and hit them with a plastic "dead" hammer
... to get them molded into the well cavity of the rim. Worked perfect!

Not liking the 'sharpish' edge of the weights, I simply used a hammer and knocked the side edges flatter.
Good enough for government work, eh! <grin>

I ended up with 1 1/2 ozs. of weight spread between the spoke holes.
Yes, yes ... I know it's not ideal ... but it *does* help with the really bad front-wheel hop that I was getting
at any speed over 40 mph. Quite a noticeable difference!

I used rubbing alcohol to clean off the surface of the rim, dried it real good, peeled off the adhesive backing, and mounted the rim weights.

Long view:

To help hold the weights in place and protect the tube -- I took off the standard rim tape -- and did two wraps around the rim with 1" Gorilla Tape.
(Many thanks to Tim Morton of Baja Bound Adventures for the tip!)
It works great and doesn't get in the way of changing tires.

TIP: Use a piece of masking tape to mark your start point for wrapping the rim.
You want two times around on the tape -- but no more.

TIP: Important! Take your time and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y mount the Gorilla Tape.
The better job that you do mounting it, and making sure that it is centered and in the bottom of
the rim well .... the longer it will last and easier your tire changes will be!

The final product:

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Change to 50T Gearing and Mud Flap Clearance

I normally run 13-52T gearing for our tight/steep/gnarly trails that we typically ride in the Tillamook State Forest in Oregon.
It turns 1st into a crawly, "get-out-of-jail" gear ... and 2nd and 3rd become your primary-use gears.
And it works really well. The downside is that at about 45 mph on the pavement your foot is constantly trying to shift up to 7th and 8th gear! LOL.
Which wouldn't do for the greater/faster distances in Colorado.

Note: (and to answer the inevitable question before someone asks it .... :lol: )

The DID chain that I use for 13-52T gearing has 116 pins (including the master link).
Another way to think of it is as there are 58 pairs of links total (including the master link).

Following recommendations from Len Faltyn and some other Colorado 500 veterans ... I settled on keeping the 13T countershaft
sprocket up front ... and dropping down to a 50T in the rear.
It would give the Wee Beasty a bit longer legs for the faster roads without losing too much grunt for the nasty/rocky sections at 13,000' altitude.

Here are the chain block adjusters set for the 52T Ironman sprocket:

And the *pretty* tight clearance between the mud flap and a worn Dunlop D803 trials tire. ummm .... yah, it's "tight."

And here are the chain adjusters after pushing the tire back against the chain slack. Aiieee!!!! :shock: :^O
Man, I'll be honest .... right about here I was seriously wondering if this was going to work.

I had to turn out the chain adjusters 5 or 6 complete turns to get to where the chain would be properly adjusted.
But ... it did. Whew! :^)

I also used a Sharpie marking pencil and put "witness" registration marks on the sprocket and the mounting bolts.
Made it real easy to glance down and see in an instant if anything was loosening up.

One nice bonus of sliding the axle and wheel back in the swing arm was the increased clearance for the mud flap.
Ahhh ... much better.

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Installing the TM Designworks Plastic Skid Plate

I have been *extremely* happy with the KTM quick-release (QR), poly skid plate on my KTMs.
I have had them on four different KTMs and have never had a single issue with them coming loose or bike damage.
Plus, they are so incredibly easy to remove and remount for cleaning the bike or oil changes.

But. That being said .... I was more than a bit worried about all the stories I was hearing about all the ROCKS in Colorado. :shock:
As in, most of the trails are located in the Colorado ROCKies. So to be safe, I thought I'd had better up the protection on the Wee Beasty.

I heard really good things about the TM Designworks Plastic Skid Plate.
Especially about the increased coverage for the ignition cover & water pump side case areas.

http://www.tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=325_327_354&products_id=1048

So I decide to mount one up for the Colorado 500.
Here are way too many views and pics of the TMD skid plate:

I was especially impressed with the much more robust mounting hardware:

... and the shouldered/shielded mounting bolts on the bottom of the skid plate:

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:15 pm

In fact, they give you some extra mounting bolts for the mid-mount points due to their exposed position to rocks, logs, etc.

Here are some side-by-side compare shots between the KTM QR Poly Skid Plate and the TM Designworks Plastic Skid Plate:

There is quite a bit of difference in the side protection for the TM Designwork skid plate!
It extends much higher to better cover the ignition cover and water pump housing areas.
On the other hand, I think the KTM does a better coverage job on the frame rails.

Note: the square center opening in the TMD skid plate makes reaching and swinging the mid-point "Z" fasteners into place much easier.

Before installing the new skid plate - I needed to clean up all the old collected oil/dirt from the frame rails and Gorilla tape.
And lo behold, found this and tried it. And it worked great! Go figure, eh. <g>

Installation TIP: Your skid plate may or may not lay perfectly flat against the frame rails.
To address this issue, mount the skid plate but leave the mounting connectors and bolts a tad loose.
Then put your bike and the skid plate onto your bike stand.
Now you can use the weight of the bike to help "squash" the skid plate against the frame rails for a tight fit ... and then tighten down the mounting bolts as you go.

TIP: Start from the rear and work your way forward.

Here is the back portion now sitting flat against the frame rails with the rear mounting bolts fairly snug:

But now you'll notice that the mid-section has a bit of a gap:

By chocking up the rear tire a bit, you can put the bike's weight directly on to the mid-section of the skid plate and get it flat against the frame rails:

Now you can tighten down the mid-point mounting bolts:

Now onto the final gap at the front of the skid plate.
This can be the most challenging spot because it's hard to get the bike's weight onto that portion of the skid plate.

No problem-o, bunky! You'll simply holler at your 'ace helper' aka "The Flying Ant" to come assist for a bit.

TIP: Go slow and careful here ... you're balancing a pretty tippy/heavy bike w-a-y up in the air.
If it tips over -- it won't be pretty. eh. [-X

TIP: I used a couple of small boards to apply pressure at just the right angle ... then I could tighten the upper mounting bolt.

And ... ta-da! A pretty good fit.

Yes, yes, ... I know. This all seems a bit anal-retentive and overkill ... right?
But the first time that you slam the skid plate off a big boulder, high-center on a log, or slam into a G-out --- you're going
to want to have that puppy mounted as solidly as possible!

You can really see the increased side protection in these pics:

I'll report back after the Colorado 500 trip on how it holds up and if it's a PITA to remove for oil changes.

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Return to “Technical”