Fork oil levels

Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts (and there are plenty of you!) on jetting, suspension, riding techniques, muffler bearings, powerband installation or anything dirt.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Fork oil levels

Postby edgy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Have been having issues with my bike not tracking,especially on single track. Fiddled with clickers, sag , and all the rest of the norm. Finally decided to pull the suspension down and pull it apart. Had around a 150cc difference in fork oil volume between the forks,ya that would make a difference. Fork seals were not leaking. Wonder how this happened? So much for local suspension tuners in my opinion....I'll go with big boys from now on should I need anything more than basic servicing of the boingers that I am capable of doing my myself. I'm not saying that our local tuners aren't good,just the one I went with didn't work for me. Disappointed in Hillsboro area.

DrD_SBD
In First Gear
In First Gear

Re: Fork oil levels

Postby DrD_SBD » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 am

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the job I did for you 2 years ago on a public form. I certainly would have appreciated a call when this first started happening. Have no answer for your 150cc difference of oil levels - oil level was set equally with a setting tool. The manifestation of one fork having 150cc less oil would be that the forks would be too soft and bottom far to easily over bumps as not enough air pressure would be building for your secondary spring rate. That problem was never reported to me in the 2 years since I performed the modifications for you. As far as the tracking goes, is the problem that the fork are deflecting off of everything and no amount of clicking can correct the problem? I have had this malady come to my attention twice and the cause in both instances have been that the bikes had set for a period of time (work and injury relate issues). In that interval, the seal sweller in the fork oil softened the seals to the point of not being able to maintain the sharp edge necessary to seal the fork because the seal lip is rolling and becoming a very wide and dragging squeegie. Siction is huge and no amount of clicking can change how the forks are functioning. Bottom line, seals are bad but they are not leaking! Time to replace seals. Hope this sheds some light on your problems,,,,,,,,and again, I'm really sorry for the problems you have have experienced.

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 am

An update...so I contacted Daryl about this issue or I should say he reached out to me,and we discussed my frustrations and came up with a plan to get it my issues resolved. New custom made springs were ordered, I took them over to Daryl, he went to work evacuating all the fluid and refilling them so as there was not an air pocket below the valving, installed the springs, while I was there. Was able to get some time in yesterday and just wanted to say that now the bike rides nice, tracks well,will a hold a line and I'm overall very happy with the performance and Daryl's want and willingness to make it right...on his own dime. I'll howl if I'm not happy, but I'll also give praise when it's due. I'm now happy...Thx Daryl.

RiverRacing
First Timer
First Timer

Postby RiverRacing » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Beautiful.. story comes full circle. Nice work from both parties to reach a compromise and solution!
728D GP/XC
2017 Yamaha WR250F
2012 BMW F800GS Triple Black
@RiverRacingTeam

dirty
In First Gear
In First Gear

Postby dirty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 am

SBD is a top notch outfit.

Seems like they went way beyond what most folks would do specially given the circumstances

Return to “Technical”