Moab Ride Report - Woo-hoo!!

Anything about trailriding - tell us about your favorite trail or bail!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Moab Ride Report - Woo-hoo!!

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Mileage: 2000 miles and four days of driving
Gasoline: $200
Hotel: $227.60
Food and snackies: ummm... more

Being able to ride Moab and it's slick-rock for two days: Priceless

On a Monday, we found out via Facebook that our good riding buddies, Pierre and Jennifer, were planning on driving over to check out Colorado and stopping to ride in Moab. MOAB..??!!!!!

Riding in Moab has always been a dream of mine ever since I started riding dirtbikes back at 14 years old. So yes, it's been a long-term dream. So Susan checked if she could re-arrange her work schedule - and she could! - but had to be back by the following Friday due to a work commitment.

So the 48 Hour Moab Roadtrip/Slickrock T-t-tour was .... on! :ride

Blew out of town on Saturday, stayed in Boise w/ relatives, and drove on to Moab on Sunday.
Holy cow, even the view from the Super Motel 8 Motel parking lot was stunning!

And yes, Pierre was *really* ready to go riding... <LOL>

Day 1 - Soveriegn Trail

Temps were fantastic - blues skies, 40's at night, 77F during the day. After stopping by the Poison Spider bicycle shop for some awesome maps, we decided to the Soveriegn Trail to get everyone's feet wet on slickrock before tackling the tougher trails. Shoot, even the drive out to the trailhead was gorgeous!

The Soverign Trail is a mix of sand and rock trail punctuated by sections of slickrock and challenging rocky trail. Can be done by aggressive beginners but more suited to intermediate dirt bikers.

And the slickrock sections were amazing! It's hard to imagine just how much traction you have on bare sandstone - but you can tractor and trials your way up just about anything! It's all about looking ahead, picking your line, slipping your clutch as necessary to maintain control and direction... and.. oh yeah, swallowing some of your fear at times. <grin>

[and yes, the video and photos "flatten" everything out -- it all looks pretty tame, eh.]

But this was a good tune-up for doing the real Slickrock trail and Fins-n-Things on the next day.
Last edited by E-Ticket on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"AYHIN"

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F (Wee Beasty); '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife's: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W, '04 Honda CBR600 F4i

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Report?
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Tawmass wrote:Report?

Holy crap, Tawm...! I got laid off, remember? This typing thing this is all weird again... <grin>
Posting as we speak - keeping the sections small to avoid any ka-booms. Now back to the "report."

Cheers! E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Cool! Looks like a trials rear tire was the hot ticket.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Since you're riding on rock most of the time - the trail markings a mix of trail stakes and paint markings ... very cool.

And we had only been on the trail about 10 minutes when we heard the first "OMG, we in FREEKING MO-HAB!!"
Which was repeated over and over and over.... <grin>

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm

Here's a pic of Pierre, aka "JoeBar" patiently waiting his turn at the next challenging section:

We were pretty slow on the trail because of "ride two corners" .... take a picture.... "ride one uphill"... take a picture.
We were actually stopping to let some of the expert mountain bikers blow through some of the sections when they would catch us. We found out later that this real fast group (and they were amazing what they were doing) were from the Poison Spider bicycle shop in Moab - and that one of the riders had one several Tour de France stages back in the day! So yah, they were good. <grin>

Every where you looked was just a stunning view - and the trail was a real kick going over and around all these huge rocks and outcroppings:

We rode a variety of trails and slickrock for about an hour and then hit a trail junction. Pierre saw that it was still the Soveriegn Trail, so he just blew on. I was riding "sweep", stopped to look at the trail marker closer and noticed that it said "Extreme Difficulty" section. !!!!! But Pierre, Jennifer and Susan were already on it and moving so I just thought, "well, I guess we'll find out what they consider 'extreme' here...!"

A couple more corners and then we came to the "Switchback Wall." Oh my. I mean, it wasn't impassable but it was imposing. Four or five very sharp switchbacks and climbed very steeply and rapidly right up the rock slope. All I could think of was Susan and 5'2.x" ... and ummm.. being a little "inseam-challenged." But she had handled everything up to now - so on we went! But I did ride her bike up one of the steeper/spookier sections.

Now remember, the photos "flatten" out the terrain and it's hard to get a real good idea of the steepness or exposures.
Turn 1:

Turn 2:

Turn 3:

And Turn 4 just dissappears below your feet if you're looking down. Yah... it got steeper. <grin>

And then this gnarly little "tiptoe" section up on top. (Why no, I wasn't nervous at all.... ewwww....)

But we got all bikes over without any real incident. Woo-hoo!

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 pm

So back onto the trails for more hauling butt around and having way too much fun.

And then another trail junction. This time I was able to ask Susan what her comfort level was, and since she had handled the "Extreme Difficulty" section without too much drama - did she feel up to trying a "Double Extreme Difficulty" section?

Her *very* UNambiguous reaction:

LOL! So took the left-hand turn and descended back into the valley.
And the stunning views kept coming. Which made it real hard to pay attention to the gnarly trail you were on!
This downhill looks ultra tame but was quite steep and very narrow in spots:

Editor's Note: all of the mountain bikers we ran into couldn't have been nicer. We would get out of their way when we struggling with a harder section and let the faster ones by - and the the more "normal" riders would pattiently wait here and there while we transitted a section in front of them. Good peeps all around.

We wound our way around and found ourselves at this HUGE section of slickrock that led up to Copper Ridge.
Pictures just DO NOT do it justice. And yes, what you are looking at is ALL rock. In EVERY direction. wow.

IT's huge, imposing, and so very way cool!! You can just ride in any direction - but you had better not do it quickly without checking your trail/line. You CANNOT tell whether the top of the rock that you're on leads to a gentle downslope, ridge, or extreme drop. DO NOT RIDE BLIND! But keep that in mind and it's utterly awesome.

For example, that dark shadow is about a 15-20' sheer hole about two feet off the trail line. With 30' drops ... to more rock below.. on either side of the trail line. oof! <g>

Last edited by E-Ticket on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:51 pm

Up on top, we stopped for a lunch break and to yell loudly: "We're in FREEKING MO-HAB!!"
Which was repeated over and over through out the two days of riding. <grin>

Jennifer aka "Hainifer"

Pierre:

The infamous "Flying Ant" (aka Stoosan):

Randy ("E-Ticket") and Susan:

360 degree video of our lunch spot on top of the world:

Just everywhere you looked was just flat-out beautiful... If you've never been to Moab, man, you just need to go...

And all these "little" looking canyons and gullies? Oh, they're anywhere from 10-40' deep.

[... insert big sigh here...]

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:01 pm

By the way .... KTMs fracking ROCK! :ride

I wish I had more pictures of some of the amazing areas and obstacles we rode through and over.
But hey, it's either ride or stop, eh! <g> Here's Susan standing on a rock surface with a 2' gap between the rock wings we went through. Man, it was like being at a Disneyland for dirtbikers! :D

We came to another switchback wall and while not as steep as the other one - it was amazing how it threaded it's way through this huge pile of rocks. Can you spot the trail?

Susan impersonating a mountain goat:

Pierre and Jennifer up on top about 50-60' up:

One of the switchback corners went right under and overhang. Stopped just long enough for a quick pic. That is after I picked up my bike after dumping it on the corner. Which totally made Jennifer's day as she was the only one to clean the climb all the way. <grin>

At the top, it led into this way cool 'slot' trail around and threw some huge boulders.

It's hard to tell here - but Susan has a smile 14 miles wide in this picture:

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:11 pm

Did I mention how beautiful it is around Moab? <g>

Later in the day, we started descending back down to the valley floor. There were many very challengin descents, switchbacks, and huge rock gardens. I wish I had more pictures of them -- but I was hanging onto my handlebars too tightly. :shock:

Went *through* the rocks at one point!

Yah, our trail is *somewhere* down there:

Pierre down below on one of the lower sections of creekbed. Lot's of 1-2' drops and ledges along the way:

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 pm

"Hainifer" playing submarine as the trail drops:

Way cool section of the trail:

The troops working the switchbacks:

This was the trail junction at the bottom. Susan had a 'moment' when she crashed off the trail and into a hole alongside the boulder to the right that I am standing on. She was completly upside-down, buried in the brush, with this little voice going, "I'm okay!" I would have like to have gotten a picture of her predicament - but was more concerned with getting her back upright and onto the trail. She didn't have any problems at all from the fall - said she was more concerned that there might be rattlesnakes sunning themselves in the sagebrush beside the trail. <grin>

Took one last snack/break:

But you did have to be careful where you sat: <LOL>

Link to all picture/slideshow:
http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr21 ... =slideshow

Man.... what an awesome day. Wow. We're in freeking Mo-hab.

E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Working on posting "Day Two - Moab Slickrock and Fins-n-Things Trails"

Patience, grasshopper... patience...

E-Ticket
"AYHIN"

autodoc345
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby autodoc345 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:15 pm

what a great report, awesome pictures. I love adventures and this looks like one to add to the must do list!
I've been told that my caution light is broken! montesa 315r, gasgas pampera, gasgas 300ec GasGas 250ec Bmw r1100rt

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:02 pm

Day 2: Slickrock and Fins-N-Things Trails

On our second day, we headed up the Slickrock trailhead - and it's only a mile out of town!!
Just straight up the hill... woof.

And a major warning for mid-summer riding! Luckily our high temps were only high 70s.

And this is one of the first jeep trails that we saw... and this is only the *Baby* Lion's Back!
(The *big* one/OHV area was closed while we were there.) We meant to come back and ride this later in the day but forgot... dang-it!

Gearing up in the trailhead parking lot:

And what a view from the parking lot! Just a teaser for the awesome day to come....

Want to bet his mountain bike is quite nice as well? <grin>

"AYHIN"

E-Ticket
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby E-Ticket » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Susan heading out into the big unknown on the first big bowl area:

[Editor's Note: the main Slickrock Trail is *very* challenging and a bit intimidating. All of the following pics are from the 3 mile "Practice Loop."]

Amazing big bowl area at start of Practice Loop:

The troops waiting for the pokey photographer to catch up... <grin>

The first big uphill .... good thing the traction is so phenomenal! You just lean over the tank, feather the clutch, and just go straight up! It was unsettling at first - but once you trusted it - you could go just about anywhere. The slickrock is truly unique riding.

Susan tickled beyond belief that she was on her "A" game and was going to be okay. <LOL>

We ended up stopping about 5-10 minutes because we just couldn't believe the views!!
We were always letting mountain bikers go by because we were busy gawking at the stunning scenery. Typical tourists. :D

"AYHIN"

Return to “Trailriding”