03-Dec-16 Lyda Camp Report

Anything about trailriding - tell us about your favorite trail or bail!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

liv2day
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

03-Dec-16 Lyda Camp Report

Postby liv2day » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 pm

It's been far too long since I've posted a ride report; haven't been getting out as much and even after getting out for a rip, haven't had time to sit down and craft one.

A few of us descended upon Lyda Camp this past Saturday hoping to get some miles in before the liquid sunshine those incredibly accurate forecasters called for started falling. It was a balmy 36 degrees when we unloaded at 0830 and as I changed in my bucket, I realized my buddy's suggestion of bringing a warming hut would have been damn nice right about then...lol.

The cast of characters for this ride included one of the usual suspects and a relatively newb guy who took a long hiatus from 2-wheeled fun (ex-trials rider). He picked up a Beta X-Trainer back in September and this would be his 2nd time out with us maroons. The first trek was on the Diamond Mill side and we took it mostly easy on him (though it was a soggy, sloppy mess and he deserves a medal for knocking out the full ride). Embracing the full edgy method for indoctrinating new riders, I told him he'd be fine for what the day held...lol.

We had a nice easy start and wound our way over to Hoodraiser (missed the entrance to Log Jam right out of Lyda...that was stoopid) and followed that to the section of Log Jam. Enjoyed ripping down that and then hit Tomans Knob. A quick stop at the trail entrance to let our Beta guy know what was in store and off we went.

Tomans was it's usual challenge of fun switch-backs and rock garden. I haven't been up it in a while and it seemed as though the rocks had grown in the ensuing time...lol. Props to my buddy on the Beta, he didn't have too many issues and joined us at the top shortly after we arrived.

We ventured on, skipping the gnarly section at the very top of Tomans and made our way to Hogsback and Archer's. There was one fun section (not sure which trail it's part of) that cuts of the logging road and has a short, steep rocky climb. I had the pleasure of riding the Beta up that section for my buddy and have to say that bike is a true joy to ride. A nice, low seat height, incredible motor, and outstanding suspension make it almost the perfect bike. I say almost as the only thing it's missing is a kick starter; wouldn't want to be stranded if the magic button decided to fizzle out.

My original plan was to hit Morel's Maze and take that down to Jordan Creek, then loop up to hit Benny's and Payne, but I didn't quite naviguess on my GPS that well and we ended up doing most of Archers.

The trek down Benny's was fun and sloppy, such a fun trail as it traverses multiple ridges and cuts along the draws. Lots of water flowing and when the bikes weren't running, it was great to listen to.

After one minor encounter with a stump and subsequent radiator deflector carnage on the Beta (thankfully, no radiator damage), we stopped for a bite to eat.

We wrapped up Benny's and decided to make our way back up via Payne. I knew this was going to be a solid challenge for our Beta boy, but he'd persevered thus far...should be fine, right? 2 of our trio make our way up the first 2/3rds of the trail and decide to take a break and wait for our Beta boy to catch up. 5 minutes pass and there's no sound of 2-stroke. Hmmm. Another 5 minutes pass and I think I heard a faint 2-stroke wind all the way out, but you know how sound travels in the forest...lol. Another 10 minutes pass and it's been complete silence, unless you count the rain now falling...lol.

Rather than continue waiting, I turn the trusty GG around (which really isn't fun on that narrow trail...lol) and head back down. My poor buddy looked completely exhausted, helmet off with steam rising off his bean, fully stuck on the bottom side of a large root step. Knowing this was my fault, I offered to get his bike over the root step - which gave me another excuse to ride this excellent machine. Got him sorted and we made it to the top without further issue.

The rain decided to start coming down in earnest at this point, so we decided to make our way back toward staging. Along the way, we hit the Lyda Bypass trail, which is a great little section of single track. And when you get out into where they cut, it offers awesome views of the range.

There was a brief moment where we (really I) considered hitting Bales Creek, but figured that might be past the final straw, so we bombed back to staging. Kicked back with a couple beers and called it a day - 31 miles covered and a ton of fun.

Some video to follow shortly :D

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 03-Dec-16 Lyda Camp Report

Postby edgy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:03 pm

This, edgy character sounds like a sadist. We all know the best way to indoctrinate a newbie is easy,peasy,clowns camp and fire roads for the first few years. That's how good riders are made. Brad, how you liking that Kenda hybrid after some time on it?

liv2day
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby liv2day » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:31 pm

edgy wrote:Brad, how you liking that Kenda hybrid after some time on it?

Hey bud - the Kenda has been great, it's wearing really well and still offers great traction in the sloppy stuff. I'd definitely recommend the tire if someone asked, it's a good value and hasn't let me down yet. The one aspect I did need to adjust to compared to running a knob - breaking isn't quite the same. It has decent stopping power, but feels like it takes longer to get slowed down compared to a knobby.

And yeah - definitely took the edgy approach to breaking in a new guy to TSF :lol: :lol:

Here's some video if you feel like wasting any time.

Toman's Knob

Bypass Trail (anyone know the name of this one?)

Benny Hill

Payne

Luke
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Looks like perfect trails for a noob break in.

I think you found Morels Maze, it's just not there anymore. I guess it and Bat Bridge are going to get logged out soon.

I have no idea what the Bypass trail is called. I just call it The Trials Section, since it's better if you try to ride it without dabbing.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Always great to read your ride reports. FYI, there are many great riding opps down south, but nothing compares to the riding in TSF. If there's anything I miss, it's the quality single track in TSF. Just sayin'.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Revival2013
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Revival2013 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Hey Brad, good videos as usual. Looking forward to getting out there if the conditions ever improve . Another inch of rain forecast for tomorrow.

tempus fugit
Newbie Class
Newbie Class

Postby tempus fugit » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Great report Liv2day.

Return to “Trailriding”