Memorial?

Anything about trailriding - tell us about your favorite trail or bail!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Julia
First Timer
First Timer

Memorial?

Postby Julia » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Hello all....newbie here....and have somewhat of an odd question but hoping someone can help... Has anyone seen the wood memorial plaque for Bob Goulart on Bungee Rd. Trail #60? (Tillamook Forest area)
5 years ago my dad died there...(heart attack.) We placed a memorial plaque and planted flowers there a few years ago. I recently hiked up there to see if it was still there ... however, the trail was so overgrown and hard to follow i turned back. (I'm a bit sketched on bears and cougar too 8-[ ) Anyway, i was hoping someone may have seen it and can confirm its still there.
Thanks in advance,
Julia

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Re: Memorial?

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:12 am

Julia,
I remember a shrine up on Deer Fence Trail, but I do not remember one on Bungee Road. I have a picture somewhere of the one on Deer Fence. I can dig it up if you think that is the one. Let me know.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Julia
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Julia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 am

Hi Tom,

Is this near bungee rd? Its located just off the trail (perhaps close to another trail) The memorial was a large wood slab ( rectangular, 2ft x 3ft it seems) that was engraved with his name and dates.

If its the one you've seen, id love to see your pic.

Thanks!
Julia

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:51 am

Don't think this is the same then. This one was basically a print out wrapped in plastic with a life summary. Can't recollect offhand this one then. Dang, thought I knew them all. The pic below in red is of Bungee Road.
-Tom
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 653 times
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Julia
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Julia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:23 am

Oh ok...no worries then. According to this map, if you were walking up from the main road, the memorial would be located smack in the middle of the second creek fork on the left side of bungee road. (The larger creek fork, next to the 800)
If you ever head up that way, let me know if you see it. I live out of state, so I probably wont make it up there again.
Kindest,
Julia

the go-devil
In First Gear
In First Gear

Postby the go-devil » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:58 am

I saw the wood plaque in question either last year or the year before. It was still in excellent shape. The only vague way I can explain where it is would be to follow Bungee rd trail until you reach the bottom of Maryanne. Go past Maryanne until Bungee starts to become impassable and look for a "trail" to the left. This will cross the creek up a rough rocky embankment and put you up onto a flat grassy opening and the sign is right there.
There's a long winded story I could tell about the day my group found the plaque and proceeded past it due to a hairbrained idea by one the members going off some vague recollection he had of going up that "trail" when he was a kid. We ultimately reached dead ends kind of below Cramlets cliff. It was a day of log jumping, berry brier bush hacking, cliff scaling, clutch roasting shenanigans.
We now all refer to that day as "going up Bob's trail".
To the OP, I can take a picture of the sign and post it on here if that would be helpful, next time I go to Diamond Mill which should be sooner than later. I could also create a GPX track that will show how to get from Cedar Creek Rd to the memorial.

Julia
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Julia » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 pm

That's it!!! Wow! I'm so stoked to know its still there! It so great to hear you referring to it as "Bobs trail" too, that's awesome :) If you go up again, id love to see a pic of it.
Thank you for sharing, you seriously just made my day!

Julia

the go-devil
In First Gear
In First Gear

Postby the go-devil » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Check back after the weekend. I'll try to get up there and get a photo posted here.

the go-devil
In First Gear
In First Gear

Postby the go-devil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:09 am

Well, I had a bit of a delay due to my work schedule but I finally got up to Diamond Mill yesterday and took a photo of the memorial.
I can't seem to get it posted in this thread though possibly due to not having admin permission for attachments.
Julia, I will send you a PM with more details.

Julia
First Timer
First Timer

Postby Julia » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Go-devil Please check your inbox!

Return to “Trailriding”