1/14/14 Jordan Creek Trailwork

All info regarding volunteering in the Northwest part of our state.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

1/14/14 Jordan Creek Trailwork

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:55 am

On 1/12/14 Stevie Ray Branstetter and I went out to do some trailwork, but it was raining in biblical proportions. By the time we got out to the Jordan Creek Staging Area, it was even worse. We decided to wuss out, return home and watch the downloaded video of the Phoenix Supercross - a good call and we made lemonade out of lemons for the day. We did see two bike-hauler vehicles at the Jordan Creek exit off Hwy 6 - hearty souls in the potential torrential!

Move to the following Tuesday and I had my neighbor Rick Newman and Keith Gienty go along for another assault on one particular trail that hasn't been used much for years. (Note: Keith dropped out of riding almost two years ago due to major health issues. Turns out his problems were curable via a naturopath doctor and he's back on bikes again - yes!) Awhile back I had a gaggle of other volunteers and we opened the top piece of this old, nameless trail. CLICK HERE to see that work. We're already working on a good name, maybe Cali's Trail or ???

On this day we started from the bottom and cleared windfalls, face slappers and boulders out of the way. There is a very small chance that this trail could be a two-way trail, however all the small boulders in the way will rob any momentum quickly, so in my opinion this trail should be a one-way (down) trail. On this this day, Rick and I were on the Rokons, while Keith was on an ATV. Cali the Wonder Dog was on all fours, but hitchhiked a ride up and back on the machines. We started from the bottom and worked our way up. We came to a slash pile were we still need to reopen a path and clear a short section above that, then the trail will be fully reopened and we will post the GPS coordinates and announce to everyone the location. Stay tuned!
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Return to “Northwest Oregon”