1/1/14 New Year's Day Ride & Trailwork

All info regarding volunteering in the Northwest part of our state.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

1/1/14 New Year's Day Ride & Trailwork

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm

For the first time in over a decade, I did not go to the Hangover Scrambles Race and take moto photos, but instead went with my buddy Scott Wilson out on a trail ride. Although it had been rainy the last couple days, NOAA's guess was it would be a good day. They were right for a change, other than plenty of fog early in the morning and some overcast skies later on. This was also the first test ride with my new Trail Tech Chainsaw Mount on the front of my tiddler 200. After packing my saw in my backpack the last time I went out, this had to be better - it was. Though it acted like a poor-man's steering damper and made the little 2-hunny handle funny (I'm a poet and don't know it), it was so much easier.
ImageImage

We unloaded at Keenig Creek and headed out. I had a very long list of windfalls I wanted to yank out of the way. Along the trails we cleaned out the northern part of Mad Dog Murphy's Pumpkin Patch and worked our way south. Wow, the water has had its way with one, persistent section! It has been a hazard for years, but the cut bench has been washed out by the torrents, so it may need a bridge eventually.

We worked our way westerly and cleared out more windfalls. We soon came to a section that the creek had washed out the base and left a four-foot cut bank on each side. We then had to take out the grub hoe and cut an incline down to, and out the other side, of the creek. Packing all those trail tools really saved the day.

Then we made our way to another log I wanted to resolve. It turned out that a bear had actually taken a poo on top of the log itself - of all the places! Hmmm... a closer inspection of before and after my lipskid, it appears maybe that was the culprit! Sneaky bears and their devil traps!!

While most of you were either racing at the Hangover, or were simply hungover, Scott and I were starting the year out right - riding. Happy New Year!
-Tom
PS: why is it maroons throw their trash all over our forests? Yes, we cleaned it up, but it sure chaps my hide!
<<<<be sure to watch in HD mode.
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

kereams
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 1/1/14 New Year's Day Ride

Postby kereams » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Awesome! Great work. The saw and hoe mount look great. You should put some paddig on the blunt end closest to your body, maybe some cheap high density foam pipe insulation?

What saw is that?

Tall seat work better?

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes. But it keeps me from smacking the GPS. :)
Stihl 192
Yes.

Unfortunate you didn't go with us KR. Hope your Dad's okay.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

edgy
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby edgy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 pm

I feel the frustration about SWINE leaving a garbage trail in my beloved TSF, seems everytime we go out riding or camping a large garbage bag is in order.We pick it up up because the perp's can't be located so as to shove it up they're !@# where it rightfully belongs! The more I deal with people the more I like animals, at least the bear has a right to poo where it wants.

JoeH
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeH » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 pm

I've been eyeing that saw carrier for awhile now for my clandestine trail building/work... Does it work as slick as it looks like it should???

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Yeah Joe, it works super, although THIS chainsaw mount works ONLY for the Stihl 192. If you have a different saw, there are other options.

JoeH
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeH » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Yeah I know it only works with that saw, I've been needing a new little saw as well. And chainsaws fall in the same category as motorcycles and guns, the more the better...
What length of bar are you running?

Woody17
Newbie Class
Newbie Class

Postby Woody17 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm

This worked great for us.
Attachments
imagejpeg_0.jpg
Here is what we made, it holds more than one model saw....worked great!
imagejpeg_0.jpg (173.45 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 am

Joe: I'm running the stock bar length. I got the Stihl 192 because it is the professional version, so is built more rugged - awesome saw!

Woody: I have a saw mount almost exactly like yours being built to carry my big saw (for serious logging!), in fact the bar goes almost to the axle of my bike. :) Should be done soon. I almost bought the one from http://www.sawtote.com , which looks just like yours as you can see from their website for $80.

Woody17
Newbie Class
Newbie Class

Postby Woody17 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 pm

That was the incomplete version, it finished with some padding and ratchet straps. We use it over at winom Frazier because the single track rarely gets cleared.

DWinters
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby DWinters » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Tom, bears do poop in the woods but that is not bear scat. I held my tongue as long as I could ,but I you get lost in the woods you better have a phone cause city boys won't make it long.
Born in Wild Dave

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Hah, surely you jest! Looks more like coyote crap to me (but no hair), but have you ever heard the term "Do coyotes crap in the woods?" I didn't think so, city boy. :)

DWinters
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby DWinters » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Second reason it can't be bear scat is that there is no red plastic in it. I like the city now, woods don't have Mozart playing on the elevator. The trees might play it but I can't turn the volume up enough to hear it. Just got too old.....

Return to “Northwest Oregon”