12/27/13 Jordan Creek Trailwork & Ride

All info regarding volunteering in the Northwest part of our state.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

12/27/13 Jordan Creek Trailwork & Ride

Postby Tawmass » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:59 pm

On Friday morn, Lyon Payne stopped by and picked me up, then we met the others down at The Hitchin' Post in North Plains, OR. The others consisted of Roger Waddington, Scott Wilson, Dave Klug, and Jeff Proctor. We were on the hook to reopen an overgrown trail off of Phipps Creek Road and Fox Ridge Road. We unloaded at the Spaur Creek Staging Area, where Curt Schonbrod also showed up - a great group! This was the very first ride for our buddy Roger Waddington after his dislocated hip from a few years ago (2009!). CLICK HERE to get the story on that. Roger finally got the nod from his doc to get out, so he purchased a new Sherco X-Ride 290 - an awesome bike! CLICK HERE to check out his new scoot! Was really great to see him back out on the trails again!

We began by taking Spaur Creek Trail - brrrrrrr! At the end of that we turned south onto Phipps Creek Road to the summit (finally some warmth!), then took the Fox Creek Trail to where we were to start clearing all the slash. We started off on the south end of the trail clearing all the alder face slappers, ended up going past where we were supposed to drop downhill. Plus my 200 fell over for about 10 minutes (dumb KTM sidestands!) and I promptly fouled the spark plug upon restart. I haven't done that in years and thanks to Lyon for having a spare plug! We decided to go to the other end to start off from the bottom. We ended up clearing about half the trail, but we will need to head back out again to finish it up. This will really make a nice option to get off the main roads, which is always a great goal!

After a few hours, most of the peeps had to take off back home. That's when Lyon, Curt and I decided to hit a few trails that needed ridden, since they'd been ignored for awhile. We stashed our chainsaws and packs, then worked our way to the Yellow Post Trail and commenced to descend down towards the highway, where we had to do numerous slash and culvert reopening efforts. As you can see from the video, it wasn't just epic, it was fepic! After that most awesome ride, we rode Lyon's reopened trail that he's been working on - again awesome!

Thanks to everyone for showing up to help keep our trails in pristine shape and having a ton of fun!
-Tom

<<<<<Click here to watch the video and be sure to watch in HD mode!
Dave Klug photo
ImageImage
Dave Klug photo
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

davek
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: 12/27/13 Jordan Creek Trailwork & Ride

Postby davek » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Picked the wrong day to wear new boots, too much walking up an down hills clearing out trails, my dawgs were a bit sore. Sorry I missed out riding the end of the day trails with you guys, that looked pretty nice.
DK
DK
2009 250XC-W
2008 530EXC
2002 BMW GS1150

liv2day
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby liv2day » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 am

Nice :thumbup:

Looks like you guys were trail blazing in the 2nd half of that video - were there actual trails there :D ?

I didn't make it out in time to hook up with you guys, so decided to hit Lyda Camp and do some exploring on my own. As I was kicking the he## out of my GG a couple of guys showed up saying it was about time I arrived :laughing8: Talk about dumbfounded. After screwing around with the bike for a while, figured out the kill switch was sticking. Resolved that and ended up going on an awesome ride thanks to John and Jeff.

Glad you guys had a good day - we'll hook up one of these times 8)

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:56 pm

As of today, this trail is now officially re=opened! Contact me for details.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Luke
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm

I have been taking advantage of Tom & Friend's hard work and just want to say Thank You! These are some excellent trails.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 am

Glad you like. Hopefully that slash pile is getting easier. Am impressed you found the bottom two picture locations!
-Tom

Luke
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Luke » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Tawmass wrote:Glad you like. Hopefully that slash pile is getting easier. Am impressed you found the bottom two picture locations!
-Tom

Story time:

I got to the road at the bottom of the slash pile trail at about 4pm and met the only other bike I'd seen that day. It was a guy on a fully loaded KLR following a street GPS trying to get to Carlton. He mentioned that he'd almost gone down the trail but then thought better of it.

The second trail is on my GPS as a road. That map is so old it's sort of up to date again.

Return to “Northwest Oregon”