OBDR in a Full Size Truck?

This forum is all about discussing this epic adventure across our great state of Oregon.

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

OBDR in a Full Size Truck?

Postby Ace! » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

I plan to take the kids for a one to two week off road camping "adventure" and thought we might do the OBDR. Does anyone know if it is doable in a full-size (SuperDuty)? I'm more concerned about narrowness and overgrowth than terrain (my truck does pretty well in off road terrain). This would be a trip that would be exclusive of campgrounds (no need for "shore power"), we'd be boondocking almost every night. Oh yeah, motorcycle related because I'd likely have a bike on a hitch mounted bike carrier :ride .
2011 DR650 - plated

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Re: OBDR in a Full Size Truck?

Postby Tawmass » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:59 am

Yo Aaron, I've done most all of the OBCDR and the majority of it is doable in your rig. There's a spot between Burns and Brothers you would NOT want to do though. :)
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:54 am

Thank you thank you.
2011 DR650 - plated

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm

I have the Trek Now disk(s)/GPS coordinates. Anyone know how accurate they are, or has anyone else used them?
2011 DR650 - plated

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:59 am

That's what we used and they work just dandy!
On that note, I believe the Juenemann's did a lot of the OBCDR in Jeeps so perhaps they can chime in.
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 am

Great. Thanks Tom.
2011 DR650 - plated

miloj
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby miloj » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 am

It's been over a dozen years since we did it, but like Tom said, all possible in full size rigs assuming you don't mind some brush scratches down the sides. I recall skipping a section from Riley to Delintment Lk. which started out very rough, and gave us an excuse to gain some needed time. We also had a hitch hauler with XR400 on the truck much of the time, with the purpose of torture testing the design. It took a thrashing and fared well. I don't recall clearance being an issue but maybe once or twice.

While we weren't into dualsports and barely into GPS at the time, it was nice to have the bike running up ahead to get the turns figured out. Also nice riding the bike knowing a chase vehicle was close behind. Having a chainsaw in the truck paid off once to remove a log that would've caused a major re-route. Firewood too of course, assuming fires ok.

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:13 am

Great, thanks!
2011 DR650 - plated

wnjj
First Timer
First Timer

Postby wnjj » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 pm

15 and 14 years ago to be exact. We ran from California to La Grande in 2000 then Walla Walla to John Day the next year. The whole length was a bit much to do in a week in a truck (including the drive from/to home).

The worst part for trucks by far was the section from Christmas Valley to Riley. It started out kind of fun on the sand roads in the forest beyond the dunes. After that it was miles of slow, bumpy wide-open ranch road with sage root balls to bounce over. We spent an entire day driving that section. On bikes you would probably barely notice it. If I ever go back with a truck, I'll take a pavement bypass for that section. When we got to Riley and started up the next really rough section (rocky) we decided we'd had enough and skipped on up to Delintment Lake.

I have the printed maps as this was in the days when GPS was rare. We found a few places where the maps were wrong and/or the roads had changed some. Some of the route was freshly signed and other places had clearly been de-signed by locals. Having a bike and quad along to scout ahead and offer a break from the truck was really nice.

The large log mentioned above was 37" since out 18" saw didn't quite cut the center. Fortunately it was so dry and perfectly round so we could roll it by hand.

wnjj
First Timer
First Timer

Postby wnjj » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:44 pm

To clarify the above post: In 2000, there was only route 5, so to me that's the "OBCDR". 8)

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:58 pm

I know I'm resurrecting this from months ago, but the wife has given me permission to skip the in-laws Thanksgiving. That means I'm doing a pre-run (of next summer when I take the kids) of Route 5. The weather should be cold and sh*tty, the roads probably impassable, and the hunting and fishing miserable. But, I'll have a new camper I want to break in, so I'm going to drive over to Lakeview and spend a week being miserable wishing I was at the in-laws (or so I tell the wife).

Any places not to miss for fishing or super-secret spots where I might knock down some grouse or quail?
2011 DR650 - plated

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:51 pm

You're right, Christmas Valley to riley is a pain in the butt, sucks! I'm camped in the middle of a lot of rocks. Slow going doesn't even begin to describe it.
2011 DR650 - plated

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:05 am

:thumbright:

Ace!
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Ace! » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Made it to Delintment Lake, although I missed some turns and backtracked a couple others. Christmas Valley to Riley was unbearable.
OBDR - Rocks.jpg
OBDR - Rocks.jpg (236.01 KiB) Viewed 438 times

The snow that started dropping overnight (last night) gave me pause when I woke up and it started really coming down.
Driving.jpg
Driving.jpg (248.03 KiB) Viewed 438 times
2011 DR650 - plated

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:54 am

Can't even imagine doing that in a truck, especially this time of year!

Return to “Oregon Back-Country Discovery Route - OBCDR”