Variances and forms?

General discussion and comments about OMRA youth events. Kids - the future of our sport!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Wulfpack Dad
Sportsman Class
Sportsman Class

Variances and forms?

Postby Wulfpack Dad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I went back through all the information I could find and could not find out if an 8 year old kid on a PW80 needs a variance form filled out to run in the jr b class. I am sorry for not paying more attention along the line but this question was asked of me by a friend. If it matters at all, the kid turns 8 on the 16th so he is actually 7 right now. He has only been riding for about 6 months and just found out how to shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. This bike is a 2 stroke, but is still a pw. No suspension to really speak of and centrifigal clutch. I have only even watched one of these races before and that was at Starvation Ridge last year. I thought that all those kids were kx65 style bikes which are more race oriented should I reccomend the jr c class? Thanks for the help, Kent
when all else fails, gas it!!!!

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 am

Junior classes:
JC Junior C - up to 8 years of age, 50cc 2 stroke max, 70cc 4 stroke max, no mandatory plates
JB Junior B - up to 11 years of age, 65cc 2 stroke max, 110cc 4 stroke max, white backgrounds with black letters and numbers
JA Junior AM - up to 15 years of age, 112cc 2 stroke max, 150cc 4 stroke max, yellow backgrounds with black letters and numbers
JX Junior Expert - up to 15 years of age, 112cc 2 stroke max, 150cc 4 stroke max, Blue backgrounds with black letters and numbers, run the adult course

A PW80 would go into JRB, no variance needed;)
Joe.........

Wulfpack Dad
Sportsman Class
Sportsman Class

Postby Wulfpack Dad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Isn't a pw80 a two stroke? I'm sorry I never really looked just assumed. Well, no variance needed, no problem just needed to check. Thanks

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Sorry, I thought it was a 4 stroke. If it is a 2 stroke you would need a variance to run that in the JRB. Silly, you event said it was a 2 stroke.
Joe.........

Wulfpack Dad
Sportsman Class
Sportsman Class

Postby Wulfpack Dad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Honestly Joe, I dont know, I have been trying to call his dad to find out for sure. The one time I was around it sounded like a two stroke but I wasn't concerned about it then. The kids I saw in the jrb class were going prtetty good the one time I saw them, but they were on more race oriented bikes. I am going to go watch him and see how is doing as far as practicing, the only time I saw him ride was the first day he got it. Who do you need to send a variance form to? Where do you get it from?I just need to make sure he is able to race at Eddieville. Thanks, Kent

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Last page of the rules is the form: http://www.omraoffroad.com/OmraRules_0433.pdf

Send it to Lizz Green, Competition Director email: lgreen@omraoffroad.com

Joe........

YAMAHA 4 EVER
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby YAMAHA 4 EVER » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

JoeMcLaughlin wrote:Junior classes:
JC Junior C - up to 8 years of age, 50cc 2 stroke max, 70cc 4 stroke max, no mandatory plates
JB Junior B - up to 11 years of age, 65cc 2 stroke max, 110cc 4 stroke max, white backgrounds with black letters and numbers
JA Junior AM - up to 15 years of age, 112cc 2 stroke max, 150cc 4 stroke max, yellow backgrounds with black letters and numbers
JX Junior Expert - up to 15 years of age, 112cc 2 stroke max, 150cc 4 stroke max, Blue backgrounds with black letters and numbers, run the adult course

A PW80 would go into JRB, no variance needed;)
Joe.........

Joe, my Dad ordered and installed my new backgrounds for the new JX class with the blue backgrounds and BLACK numbers as stated above.
We see now that they should have blue background with WHITE numbers :?
Do you think I should order new ones or will these work ?
Blake Haney
#831x

Thanks to my Sponser,
Advanced Metal and Wire Products, Alias, 100%, Attitude Motosports

Hookit Acount: http://www.hookit.com/members/blakehaney/

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Ya that was a typo, my bad;)
I would run what you have. The difference is so minimal I doubt anyone would care.
Joe............

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 pm

The kids classes can be heavily contested classes. IMHO the bottom line is parents should put the kids wherever they belong regardless of what the rules say, that is why we have the variance in the first place. The only time it should ever be an issue is if a child racing under a variance is kicking arse on the other kids racing within the rules. In simple terms is Bob is racing a KTM 85 in the JRB class who cares as long as he/she is not whoppin up on all the other kids, if that is where his or her skill level places then so be it. Where it will become an issue is when said kid starts placing in the top three on a consistent basis,, then it is time to move up. If it were up to me any child racing under a variance that places top three, three times would get bumped to the next level.

From what I have seen people rise to the challenge so looking at a whole year of racing it may not be the best thing to look at where a racers ability is at this moment but rather where that skill level may be half way through the season. However, when it comes to kids that is a delicate balance that is best left in the hands of the parents. I feel very confident that the current OMRA structure and rules gives parents and children racers the maximum choices possible.

Because the OMRA has been so open to allow a wide range of JR classes we all need to move the kids along as needed. The sandbagging rules apply to everyone regardless of age or class.
Joe............

Return to “Youth Events”