Youth after 13, Mr. Brown, Mr. Conway, Mr. Bolin

General discussion and comments about OMRA youth events. Kids - the future of our sport!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Youth after 13, Mr. Brown, Mr. Conway, Mr. Bolin

Postby tang8u » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Dads
Sorry if I misses spelled your name.

Issue is Kid, Bike VS Girls

This year I told Tyler he is on his own. We are setting up a bike for him to race, but he is doing 90% of the work this time. I am just in the background. ( I will have more of this later, not like the KX rebuild years ago)

Just looking for any insight.

The girls seem to be winning

Tang
Tang
Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Re: Youth after 13, Mr. Brown, Mr. Conway, Mr. Bolin

Postby dlharte » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Well you didn't ask me...probably because my kids are not older. But let me tell you about ME at that age.

First off....Girls start getting REALLY attractive near that age! Fortunatly for my racing career most of them looked right through me as if I didn't exist. I was still googly eyes most of the time over some doe eyed girl but my bike always payed attention to me so I went with the path of least resistance.

I had a very mechanically capable father but insisted to do most of the bike prep myself. That lead to more then a few DNF's but lessons learned that served me well later in life. My bikes came ready to race and finish after my teens.

Alex (my oldest) has already said he is done with bikes. It's just not a good atmosphere for him so I support his decision and I'm watching him excel in other things.

Max is focused but that could change and if it does that will be fine. I will not be that dad that make his kids race. It's all I know but I will support them in whatever they want to do as long as it is healthy.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 pm

I do not push any of my kids to race. Or do any of what there into. I just look back and watch. Give my input.

I have seen the soccer Dads and Mom. Gone throu all the stuff, with my older daughter and son.

But, some times one sees a talent in a person, Tyler is great at playing saxophone, he gave it up. Tyler was great at his kick scooter, won many events. Has given it up. Was in band last year has given it up.

Just venting and looking for any insight

Tang
Seems all my kid at 13 to 14 drift away.

And yes we still get along and talk. As do all my kids. Growing pains for the father I guess
Tang

Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

tang8u wrote:I do not push any of my kids to race. Or do any of what there into. I just look back and watch. Give my input.

I have seen the soccer Dads and Mom. Gone throu all the stuff, with my older daughter and son.

But, some times one sees a talent in a person, Tyler is great at playing saxophone, he gave it up. Tyler was great at his kick scooter, won many events. Has given it up. Was in band last year has given it up.

Just venting and looking for any insight

Tang
Seems all my kid at 13 to 14 drift away.

And yes we still get along and talk. As do all my kids. Growing pains for the father I guess

Yes, he certainly has talents (including riding a motorcycle). It is sometimes frustrating when they follow their own trails. My kids never did ride; have a grandson who is interested but he lives in Idaho so I dont get to participate much on that front either. Hard to say how these things will shake out, but it sounds like you're trying to guide him the best way possible.

hondaservice1
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby hondaservice1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:56 pm

You cannot prepare a path for the child, but you must prepare the child for the path. Brad McCoy father of Colt McCoy.
Jim
Advocare We Build Champions
http://www.sparkyouup.co
2002 YZ-250 enduro

brad21
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby brad21 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am

I think exposing our kids to as much as possible, encouraging them and giving them the tools to make the right decisions is about all we can do as parents. I told my boys we wouldn't be racing this season, not because we/they don't really want to, but because they are both so busy with other sports and the money issue that always seems to come up with racing. They are fine with it. We will still ride.

Not sure what to tell you Tang. Kids grow up, change, but you've instilled in Tyler a lifelong skill that he one day will most likely come back to.
'00 XR650R
'07 200 XC-W (44F)
'01 Triumph Tiger (GONE!)
Dawson 45JX
Race 43JC

Return to “Youth Events”