24 Hour Youth Team 2011

General discussion and comments about OMRA youth events. Kids - the future of our sport!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

24 Hour Youth Team 2011

Postby tang8u » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

So

I am Tyler

I ask My dad the other day about the 24 hour.

He told me to build a team.

Ok

Need to build the 2011 Junior “Get Out Of are Way “ 24 hour Team.

I have ran the 24 hour since I was 11, first year was great. Last year a little muddy.

I would like to build a 4 to 5 member team. This should give rider almost a 5 to 6 hour window between rides.

Lighting ………if your bike is not set up for light. That ok
We will figure out timing.

2010 Youth Team

Your you ready

Tyler
Tang
Bad judgement Makes for Great Stories. I seem to have a lot of stories :)

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 am

A couple more:

THIB78
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby THIB78 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:39 am

Tyler my step son will be 12 by then and should do OK and he will have lights. He has not done any GP or XC events yet but will do so next month at Eddieville and also Prineville, he has only done MX and has raced maybe 50 times and rides typically in the Junior class and i think he will do very well in the offraod type racing. We live in Vancouver, also will be heading to China Hat tomorrow for 4 days of riding. let me know what you think

Shad Thibodeau
78D
Shad Thibodeau
78D

brad21
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby brad21 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:17 am

I think Dawson would like in on this again! :ride

Putting in an order for "dry and sunny" this year... :shock:

'00 XR650R
'07 200 XC-W (44F)
'01 Triumph Tiger (GONE!)
Dawson 45JX
Race 43JC

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Wed May 04, 2011 9:20 pm

24 Hour Date

Oct 29th and 30th

So looks like I have a team building.

Dawason………… .Lights ??
Tyler …………… . .Lights Yes
THIB78 Son …………. Light yes

Looks Good.

Need a Team Name??

Dawason my dad asked me to ask your dad about Robbie.

Tyler
Tang

mikegcoleman
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby mikegcoleman » Wed May 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Let me talk to McCale - he'll be racing some GP this year so he may be interested.

I can hook him up with lights.

Mike
If I had known dirt was this much fun I'd never gotten on the street . . . 25 wasted years

2003 KTM 200 SX
2003 KTM 200 EXC

THIB78
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby THIB78 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 am

anyone up to getting a ride day for the boys to get out and ride together, other than racing? This way they know each other and also know riding skills.
Shad Thibodeau

78D

Racinace
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Racinace » Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 pm

tang8u wrote:24 Hour Date

Oct 29th and 30th

So looks like I have a team building.

Dawason………… .Lights ??
Tyler …………… . .Lights Yes
THIB78 Son …………. Light yes

Looks Good.

Need a Team Name??

Dawason my dad asked me to ask your dad about Robbie.

Tyler

Tyler,

We wouldn't miss it! Robby will be there. I will have him get on here to confirm. 4 riders will give you guys a good workout! :ride
Ace Nilson
2015 Husqvarna FE501
2007 KTM 990s
2006 KTM 525 exc
http://www.HighDesertAdventures.net

dlharte
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby dlharte » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 am

Put Max on the maybe list. I know he is game but we are not able to commit right now. He would have lights if we do join in and would be on an 85XC. He is wanting to Ironman the 6 hour but I need to be able to chase him at night and may or may not be healed enough by then.

I noticed recently that Steahly shows a lighting coil for the little KTM. I need to talk with Chuck about it and report back.

Alex has lost interest in scooters at the moment. I am letting that develop before selling off his stuff.
OMRA Competition Director
Team NORA and Off-Road Dad

THIB78
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby THIB78 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:02 pm

I noticed a light on tyler Kawasaki. Is there anyway to do so on a CR 85? We have helmet lights but would like carson to have a bike light also but cant find anyway on the internet to do so
Shad Thibodeau

78D

tang8u
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tang8u » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 pm

CR 85

I do not know if any one make a lighting coil or stator assembly for the new CR 85’s.

Do you have a manual?

How is the bike making power for the ignition?

Is there an ignition coil? If so then you could rewire an ignition coil and install it 180 degree of the ignition coil and us it as lighting coil.

This will give you A/C current.

Or

You could run two NiMH Batteries in the air box. This will power a 35-wt headlight for just about 1 hour. Recharge time 3 hours on 3 amp lower charge.

Tyler KX is set up two ways.

Power is a lighting coil that make 45 watts at 3500 rpm will peak at 47 watts at 5000 rpm, current is A/C.

First set up: Simple
Is A/C current. Lighting coil, to Trail Tech voltage regulator, to headlight. This system works fine if you can keep the bike revved up, but the light dims when you come to an idle. If you stall the motor you have no light. Its Dark.

Second set up:
Is D/C current. Lighting coil, floating the ground, to Trail Tech rectifier, two NiMH Battery, and then the headlight. This system works great same light brightness, if the motor stalls, bike still has light. Down side is if the batteries go dead, your light flicks and is really dim. The lighting coil is trying to charge the battery. Which to convert A/C to D/C you loose half you wattage.
But this give the KX ride time at night with a 35 watt pencil beam head light almost 2 hours. If the battery go down on the trail, he switches to Set up number one, A/C current, which one could run all night on if you do not mind your light going dim at low idle.

Tyler also runs a 35 watt one inch helmet light, battery in his fanny pack. The same kind of light on his left bar, battery mounted on the triple clamp. This is his back up light. This set up is what he ran on his first 24 hour. Worked well, but he kept out ridding his lights, so he could not ride at full speed, when he wanted

If there is a full moon and clear, you really do not need a light on the Ridge.

These are places to look at and see if any thing is available for the CR 85
https://www.rmstator.com/en/dirtbikes/honda.htm This place is great, but over seas
http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighting/ ... coils.html

There is also Ricks Stators in Medford, I think. And Trail Tech in Washington. Get a hold of Joe McLaughlin. He has a way with the crew at Trail Tech. Joe is on the form and easy to find.

Tang

Opps

Looks like Tyler’s Team is coming to gether

Dawason
Tyler
THIB78 Son………THIB 78 what your sons name?
Robbie

Maybe ?? Max That would make the Team of 5. And Mr. dlharte can cook. I have heard good thinks about his cookin.

I plan on enter the Youth team on June 5th. We will be up there for the XC at the Ridge.

THIB78 wrote:anyone up to getting a ride day for the boys to get out and ride together, other than racing? This way they know each other and also know riding skills.

Tyler, Dawason and Robbie have all riden together before. Dawason is doing the XC and GPs this year. He is also on a CR85. If THIB78 Son, is also doing GP, you two should run in to each other.
You also should run into Max. Max can hold his own!!

Tyler racing the XC series, also with Dawason. So any time other then those days. Tyler is available. We live in Hillsboro and ride Tillamook. Love Diamond Mill, Lydes Camp and Jordan Creek.. PM US

We will be Riding Sunday at the Mt. Scott Poker Run at Jordan Creek
http://www.mtscottmc.com/page13.html
Tang

Rippen Robby
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Rippen Robby » Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey Tyler this is Robby. If you could call me I would like to talk it all over with you, I just need your number. So if you could give me that I will call you.
Thanks

THIB78
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby THIB78 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:49 pm

my step sons name is Carson
Shad Thibodeau

78D

brad21
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby brad21 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Dawson rode with just a helmet light last year and said it was fine. The weather was CRAP so the speeds were low. Not sure if he would've outridden the light or not. We got it from Rick Aldridge, he is on the forum as well.

This is the light we got, it is really bright:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2009/articles/strykr/
'00 XR650R

'07 200 XC-W (44F)

'01 Triumph Tiger (GONE!)

Dawson 45JX

Race 43JC

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I am going to throw this out there for the kids. I have an extra MR16 that was just serviced by Trailtech. It has a new bulb and the wiring harness was replaced. It is an extra that I do not need. I was going to sell it but I will offer it up as a loaner. All your Dad'd need to do is handle the battery and a mount. The kids can switch it out between laps. You guys game?
Joe.............

Return to “Youth Events”