newbie with questions

Over The Bars Gang ~ www.overthebarsgang.com

Moderators: OMRA, Tawmass, scoott, OTBG Debbie

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

newbie with questions

Postby jb15 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:59 pm

hey all, hoping someone can guide me a bit in getting started with hare scramble type racing.

what is the difference between GP, XC, DS, GP? what do they even mean?

i'm thinking about going for my first race at Starvation Ridge, but i don't know the difference between GP and XC and they are on different days.

i've just started searching these forums looking for information, but are there a lot of different classes? i'm not sure what level to enter at, but i'm thinking i should start in in the middle somewhere and see how i do.
coffee don't fax worth a damn

JoeMcLaughlin
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Re: newbie with questions

Postby JoeMcLaughlin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:41 am

At Eddieville and Starvation Ridge a GP or Grand Prix is 1.5 hour plus one lap. XC is Cross Country and is 2.5 hours plus one lap. DS is dual sport.

You can check out the latest results to get a feel for how many people are in each class, the more the better: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

Joe.........

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 am

As Joe says, the technical difference between GP and XC is the length of time you ride....

Looking at OMRA series overall,
GP loops tend to be shorter (this means if you are running a small tank you can gas up every couple laps)
XC loops can be much longer at some locations (I believe China Hat approaches 40-50 miles)
XC is more likely to be in a trail riding venue/BLM/Forest using a fair amount of single track and some hills, water crossings/bridges, etc.
GP is often MX track with trail/grasstrack extensions added (No big mandatory jumps though)

Starvation and Eddieville are unique in that they are on private land and use quite a bit of natural terrain MX type of course in their layouts. Sometimes GP and XC days will be run reverse direction, parts of the course are often altered/added/deleted between the two days.

Good idea to check out the rulebook on the different variations...
http://www.omraoffroad.com/rules.htm

jb15
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby jb15 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:06 pm

awesome, thanks for the info

XC seems to be what i'm most interested in

i watched some videos of eddiesville and it doesn't seem like what i'd be interested in, i'm more interested in the tight technical trail riding with obstacles and hill climbs, compared to the open high speed tracks.

i watched a few videos of starvation ridge it seemed more XC than eddiesville

starvation ridge looks a bit more technical but not quite what i was looking for.
coffee don't fax worth a damn

Return to “OTBG M/C”