Spot Satellite GPS Messenger - version 2

Talk about how lost you got, can get, or share trail-route files!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Spot Satellite GPS Messenger - version 2

Postby Tawmass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:33 am

I see Spot finally came out with an updated version 2 that has all the needed fixes from the original version, like questionable messaging and satellite reception. All the reviews look excellent for the new one. Santa's bringing me one for Christmas. For the price, anyone who goes trailriding should have one of these things for peace of mind.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Santa arrived early, so I got one of these units today. I did a quick test run and it works great. No satellite reception issues and the "I'm okay" test messages went through just fine. It cost $149, plus $99/year for the service, but what price being able to contact 911 from anywhere there is satellite reception? Or even to just let your loved ones know you are okay when you're out on an extended ride - especially if you are one of those whacked people that ride alone?

You can also create a separate profile and loan it out to others for use.

Thumb's up. :thumbright:
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

tjhunter
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tjhunter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:05 pm

- especially if you are one of those whacked people that ride alone?

Whacked??? :dontknow: What you talkin' bout Willis?
John Fowler 19V
Thank You! Suspension by Design
Thank You! Absolute Motorsport 541-677-7479

tjhunter
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby tjhunter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for the report on the new unit Tom. I've been thinking about getting one of the originals, but now I think the new and improved is gonna' be a must have for me. I do probably half of my riding by myself, and I've been pretty lucky so far( knock on wood), but we all know poo happens.
John Fowler 19V
Thank You! Suspension by Design
Thank You! Absolute Motorsport 541-677-7479

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 am

Hey John, do not (I repeat), do NOT get the first generation Spot. It was riddled with GPS reception issues and the messaging was scant. I've been playing a lot with this new one and am quite pleased. Be SURE and get the Spot 2 - especially if you're riding by yourself! Hey, I LOVE riding by myself too, but poo does happen! :D
-Tom

qualityfishing
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby qualityfishing » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:05 pm

wish they had a trade in program for last years hit and miss unit.. Works good 90% of the time. I just have a feeling when i am hanging on the side of a cliff its going to be the 10% it doesnt work.
Dan Christopher
2010 450exc

11D gp

http://www.qualityfishingadventures.com

Midtown Rich
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Midtown Rich » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 am

hohoho
thanks!

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 am

FYI, I heard they DO have a trade-in program, so call 'em up and look into it.
-Tom

qualityfishing
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby qualityfishing » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 am

cool, i will do that
Dan Christopher
2010 450exc

11D gp

http://www.qualityfishingadventures.com

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:47 am

FYI, just got this...

December 14, 2009

Dear Valued Customer,

Spot LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers, therefore,
Spot LLC will be conducting a voluntary return on any new model SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger � (SPOT 2)
purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might
not meet battery and messaging operating specifications.

We highly recommend you return your product for replacement at your earliest convenience. Please visit
www.findmespot.com/exchange for complete details. Replacement product will be available in early 2010. Spot LLC
guarantees we will exchange your product free of charge and send your replacement unit when product is available.

This notice does not affect the original SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker (SPOT 1) devices. Customers can easily
identify the unaffected SPOT 1 product as it is clearly marked as the SPOT Personal Tracker. The operating condition
does not apply to any other SPOT products.

Sincerely,

The SPOT Team
For more questions
Please call toll-free 1 (866) 727-7733
Email: SPOTexchange@findmespot.com
Thank you for being a SPOT customer and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. SPOT LLC is dedicated to providing the highest quality and best performance products to our customers.

Dakar-Dave
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Dakar-Dave » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 am

I was hoping that the new version was going to equiped with a usable GPS screen (I'm sure I read they were somewhere) but like you say, "what price to reach 911.

You can secreatly hide it in someones truck that's on a diet and see how many times they go to McDonalds - hence the reason Kim ain't getting one :D

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 am

Looks like they finally are offering an trade-in program for owners of the original SPOT. For a limited time you can upgrade to the new version 2:

CLICK HERE!

Return to “GPS (Global Positioning System)”