GPS for $200?

Talk about how lost you got, can get, or share trail-route files!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Kevin Stadden
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

GPS for $200?

Postby Kevin Stadden » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:46 pm

I'd like to get a hand held GPS.

So I bought a Magellan Triton 400 today because the price was right and it looked easy to use.

Wrong.

I've never had a more frustrating experience with a gadget than I did with this thing. Whatta pile! Ended up taking it back a few hours later. Wouldn't do anything right, froze up, crapped out, etc. Did some internet snooping after the fact and found out those have a reputation for being crap. Figures.

So, now I'm looking for a decent one for around $200. Is that even possible? The one I'm looking at right now is the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8701

Look good? Junk? What say you?

hondaservice1
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby hondaservice1 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm

dont get anything but a garmin 60cx, cs, or csx you will probably spend about 250.00 but they are the only ones that will work in canyons and forest canopies.
Jim.
Advocare We Build Champions
http://www.sparkyouup.co
2002 YZ-250 enduro

trainwreck
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby trainwreck » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 am

we have a garmin 60 csx it is the best gps i have ever used very easy to figure out and will do just about anything.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Kevin,
I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX and it passes my geek approval! It basically has all the same features as the 60CSX, but in a smaller package. I wanted something smaller for my mountain bike and it's about 2/3 size of the mighty 60CSX, but still has all the bells and whistles. I used it on last weekend's race HERE. Did you end up getting one?
-Tom
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

medicshawn
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby medicshawn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 pm

I have been researching gps's for the purpose of purchasing one... I have found the Garmin etrex Vista HCX to be very highly recommended for riding. It is very similar to the legend, and like Tom said, it is smaller, easier to carry around, and has the same antenna as the Garmin 60's so will stay locked on in canyons and timber, only the antenna is internal and doesn't add to the bulk like the 60's. And they cost significantly less than the 60's.

You can find them for right around $200... that is going to be my next purchase.

Kevin Stadden
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby Kevin Stadden » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Good to know, thanks guys!

I still haven't bought one, but I would like to pick one up sometime.

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 am

What Shawn said. The Garmin Etrex Legend HCX [make SURE to ONLY get the HCX!] appears to have quite literally the same feature set as my Garmin 60CX, only in a smaller package. (FYI, the 'S' [in the Garmin 60CSX] stands for sensor for the compass, when you are standing still. Basically an unneeded feature IMHO). The biggest difference is a smaller display with slightly less detail (probably a tad harder to read on the bars) - otherwise a winner. The smaller size is handy for storage, in fact I just stuffed it into my camera case at the recent XC race to record logs.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... EN&ra=true

Note: The Garmin Etrex Vista HCX would fall into this category also. On all models, the H is paramount (High-sensitivity antenna) as is the X (external memory). The C is for color, which is a nice-to-have.

I have the RAM Mount for the Legend HCX, but have not tried it off road yet. It appears only slightly less robust than the one for the 60s.
-Tom

ImageImage
You don't stop riding because you grow old, you grow old because you stop riding.

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Tom you linked to Garmin ..... is that the best place to buy, or are there known sellers with better pricing on Garmins?

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 pm

When using Garmins comparison tool it shows NO difference between the Legend HCx and the Vista HCx, except that the Vista is $50 more..... what gives ?

Tawmass
OMRA Officer
OMRA Officer

Postby Tawmass » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:59 pm

No, it has one difference - the Vista appears to have the sensor for the compass, meaning the electronic compass and barometric altimeter. That is the feature that I referred to earlier that is 'nice-to-have', but not really worth the extra $50.

Yes, search other places online for cheaper Garmin GPS's. Almost all will be cheaper than Garmin's site. I happened to buy my recent Legend HCX off Craig's List for only $115.
-Tom

davek
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby davek » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm

I got a Magellan for free but would never buy one, the SW really stinks. Friends have the Garmin 60 series and all have nothing but great things to say.

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oregonsage » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks for the clarification Tom

medicshawn
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby medicshawn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Craigs list might be the way to go... Amazon has good prices.. the Legend for about $180 and the Vista for about $210.

Return to “GPS (Global Positioning System)”