Garmin Nuvi 550/Oregon 450/62s

Talk about how lost you got, can get, or share trail-route files!

Moderators: OMRA, dlharte, oregonsage, Tawmass

Ahusk
Expert Class
Expert Class

Garmin Nuvi 550/Oregon 450/62s

Postby Ahusk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 am

Got a few gps questions for those in the know. I am looking at upgrading from my Etrex to something with a bigger screen that I can actually see when I am riding. All I am looking to be able to do is record tracks and waypoints and then edit them at home and make maps for myself of the trails that I ride. I like to explore new areas and then build maps so I can ride around without constantly getting lost or making endless circles:) I am by no means a gps guru, but understand how to use software to make decent maps for myself. I really don't care about basemaps because I always turn the basemaps off anyways because there is too much detail that clutters up the screen. I really wish I could just load the maps on a USGS topo map, but I don't know if Garmin has that possiblity. Truthfully, I wish I could just use my droid, the BC navigator app and interface is so superior for navigating on roadless areas that it makes my Etrex look like a joke. Unfortunately battery life, durability, and lack of tracking abilities make the Droid not very usable as a gps. So here is what I see, and would appreciate any suggestions as to which one to buy.

Nuvi 550 ($299)- Largest Screen of the bunch. Questionable durability when strapped to the handlebars on a dirtbike. Don't really care about the street navigator features, my Droid that takes care of that. Cheapest of the bunch.

Oregon 450 ($399)- Second largest screen. Touch screen could be good or bad depending on how good a job they did on the interface. Relatively large screen in a small package. Probably tougher than the 550.

62s ($499)- This seems to be a popular option around the OMRA from my research. Smallest screen of the bunch. Fairly large package with the seperate button area. Most expensive of the bunch. For some reason a bunch of you like the 60 series, and I am assuming there is a reason for it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Al

crgirl
AA Pro Class
AA Pro Class

Postby crgirl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm really curious about any answers you guys have on this too. You guys all sound like you know a lot about the pros and cons about the Garmin products.
1997 CR250
1999 CR250
2001 CR250
2008 KX100 - for sale
1986 TRX 250R

oregonsage
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Nuvi 550/Oregon 450/62s

Postby oregonsage » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:14 am

[quote="Ahusk"]

Nuvi 550 ($299)- Largest Screen of the bunch. Questionable durability when strapped to the handlebars on a dirtbike. Don't really care about the street navigator features, my Droid that takes care of that. Cheapest of the bunch.

[quote]

If you are interested in a Nuvi 550 I have one that I used a couple of times on my street bike, and have carried in my pack offroad but generally it sits unused. PM me if you want it for a good price. I also have some RAM mounts available.

Return to “GPS (Global Positioning System)”